Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I have to admit, I had only the vaguest idea about how Protestant and Catholic Bibles are different before studying for this article. Now I'm eager to study the Apocrypha some more and get that all straight in my head.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Remember to check the Sacred Texts site on the net for the edits and translations!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Very nice article LeeAnn.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Very interesting article. In the interests of full disclosure, I'm a Catholic with a degree in Theology. Speaking as such, the reason that the Jews did not accept the seven so-called apocryphal books of the Old Testament was precisely because they first appeared as part of the Septuagint and, as such, were written in Greek, the language of Paganism. Combine this fact with the knowledge that the early Christians used the Septuagint in their controversies with the Jews, and it is understandable why the Jews would be hostile to this translation and, thus, not accept the inclusion of these books.

The reasons Catholics consider these books canonical are many, but for reasons of space, I'll just name two:

1. The NT writers quote principally from the Septuagint (the translation including the so-called apocrypha). Of the 350 OT quotes in the NT, about 300 of them come from the Septuagint.

2. Some of the NT writers utilize the so-called apocrypha in the NT. St. Paul quotes from The Book of Wisdom and the Epistle of St. James shows that Paul was familiar with Ecclesiasticus.

Thanks again for the great article and for the opportunity to talk about what can be a confusing topic for people!

Laura Delgado, Ph.D.
Sons Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
That is a nice article LeeAnn. I'm sure it was a difficult study. Thank you for doing the work.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Wonderful article, LeeAnn!
and thanks for the additional info Laura.
I am Episcopalian, and many times the Catholic version of the Bible is used in our tradition. Actually having the differences explained along with how the differences came about is helpful to know.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Thanks all. I find there are two extremes: oversimplification and extreme complexity. Mostly I've read popular works that oversimplify our faith and its historical roots. Now I think that's done me a disservice. I'm starting to discover the depth of really complicated scholarship out there pertaining to all things Christian, but am chagrined to find a good part of it done by, apparently, nonbelievers. Always a challenge to find the objective truth amongst the presuppositions.

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.