Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Many colleges give an admission boost to children of previous graduates, called legacy preference. Some have called this practice unfair. What do you think?

What do you think the reasons are behind this practice?

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I don't think it is fair. I'm sure the reason is to snag more alumni contributions but that doesn't make it right.
My DD graduated from a top-of-the-line university that has a legacy preference for direct descendants of graduates, in fact currently there are a higher percentage of legacees than ordinary applicants. It pretty well closes the door to applicants who do not have those parental alumni connections. My DGD (DD's niece)with a top SAT score, lots of leadership experience and class Valedictorian, couldn't get into that college and had to "settle" for UNC Chapel Hill. It's hard to compete when the playing field isn't level.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I don't think that legacy preferences are necessarily unfair. A legacy student is more likely to actually accept the admissions offer and show up, less likely to transfer out and likely to have family financial support for their education. In other words, they are a good bet for the school. Schools can end up with major problems if they admit too few (or too many) students to their Freshman class or if too many students accept but then don't actually show up in the Fall. Early admission can also give you the same kind of preferential advantage at some schools.

Also, if you really want to attend a school (particularly if you were waitlisted, but anytime you meet the stated minimum requirements), my dad - a college professor - recommended calling the admissions office the first day of orientation. It would be very likely that fewer students than the school could handle would have shown up and so there would be openings. Of course, financial aid might be difficult at that point.

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
More debates about college legacy points:

Debating Legacy Admissions at Yale, and Elsewhere

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Amoeba
Amoeba
Frankly, I don't believe in favoring the kids of alumni, perhaps the siblings, just because it really hurts to get a No from the school who accepted your older sister 2 years earlier.

My son was rejected from my alma mater, despite the statistics saying he was twice as likely to get in as someone without an alumni parent.

I wondered though.... do schools differentiate between large contributing alumni and alumni who contribute little or none? Sounds like they do based on the Yale guy's quote about having rejected more children of some category of alumni donors. So he knew the statistics not just based on alumni, but on big buck alumni versus not. As though Yale really needs any more money in their alumni fund. Seriously?

But just in general -- do you even want, as a student, to think that you got your spot at a very competitive college because of your mom or dad? I don't think so.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
You are not alone. College admission legacy preference is a hotly debated issue. Not all colleges use it as part of their admissions decision. The ones that do each give it different weight.

Could you be more specific about what made you think that Yale differentiated between alumni who donate large amounts of money and those who do not? I am not finding anything in the article that would lead me to believe that. Can you point me to the quote?

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.