Next Thread
Print Thread
#611164 07/17/10 04:52 PM
F
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
F
Help i don�t know what we�re doing wrong with our dill herbs, some how we keep killing them, numerous times now. We have it in a flower pot in the window sill, it gets afternoon sun, maybe to hot? I also wonder if my hubby is giving it to much water, from getting so much sun he thinks it needs lots of water. We tried a not so sunny area this was also not so good. It also died. Can dill get a bug (parasite)?.

Flower
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I love dill, especially fresh. Usually it's pretty easy to grow and yes they can get parasites.

A few years ago when my husband picked up some dill plants. Before I had grown them from seedlings I planted in empty egg cartons. If you looked under the stalk, down near the heavier part, there were these brown teny-tiny bugs. We left it alone and the plant began turning yellow, then brown, then died. The bugs seemed to be sucking the juice out of it. Also, too much water can definately kill a plant.

After growing herbs from seedlings, I take a terra cota flower pot with a hole in the bottom, sprinkle some gravel in the bottom for drainage, put in some soil and compost and set it in partial to mostly sun but with some shade too.

If it's in a window that constantly gets sun I'd take it down at some point to give it a break. There's also overcrowding, but that usually comes later when the plants are full force. I don't usually have a dill plant that keeps growing and growing year after year.

I did have a jalepeneo plant I played music for and spoke with that stayed with me for 4 1/2 years. It ended up turning into more of a tree than a plant and produced fruit until it was all trunk. I've not had the time to see if I could have that happen again but at the time I was actually trying out the experiment of music and talk to see if a plant would react.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Koala
Koala
The dill in our garden gets ants around the base. They get into the roots and will kill it if you don't catch it. Hubby sprays it with rubbing alcohol mixed with water. I think he mixes it half and half. Connie

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
F
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
F
I think it was the tiny brown bugs, sucking the life out of it. But we intend not to put it in the window this time but in a shadeier place not so much sun. And i plan on giving it water myself this time. Wish me luck and thanks for the tips i will put it in a terra cotta pot.

Flower
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Our dill plants are on the back porch where they're in the sun most of the day. They seem to be happy there. If there's a heavy rainstorm they get *drenched* and they don't seem to care. we also leave them alone sometimes and they're OK with that too. So for us they are fairly happy little plants, not too fussy.

We do use high quality potting soil so that might be it!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
F
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
F
Well i thought it might also be from to much sun, but apparently thats not the problem if yours are most of the day in the sun.

Flower
F
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
F
I tried to grow some dill again only a little bit came, not enough to do anything with. I put it in a light but shady area seems to do ok there, i�ll try this area next year again.

Flower
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
I honestly think that no matter what the books or the "experts" say it all comes down to trial and error.

F
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
F
I believe so to, i have found out that what works for some does not always work for others. Hit and miss situation.

Flower

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.