Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Follow my link to read my article about polygamy and its darker side and then come back and take my poll and tell us if you feel it should be illegal or not.

Polygamy

Should Polygamy remain illegal?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/13/10 09:56 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I voted illegal.

This is a tough decision, for I do believe in freedom of religion. However, my upbringing and my country see it as illegal to have more than one spouse at a time.

This can really turn into a complex discussion. What if a man who has a dozen wives or so dies and the women and children have no income? Because of their beliefs the women may not be allowed to work outside the home. Do they all apply for welfare and other state aid? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 09/13/10 10:34 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
Gecko

Okay- I voted
It should be legal on the basis of frredom to practice any religion

I am sure I am going to hear stink over it but I believe that freedom of Religion is for ALL RELIGIONS not just the ones we pick or choose to fall into that little politcal correct package. I am not saying I agree or disagree with their ways, I am just saying that as a Pagan and a Religious outcast to my Catholic family- who are we to judge?

As long as no children are harmed- when a child is 13 getting shipped off to marry a 55 year old man or a 12 year old boy is sent to work the farms as a slave, then I got issues. Marriage or plural marriage at legal age is one thing.

Proud Pagan
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I'm with Maureen on this one. People should be allowed to practice their faith according to the dictates of their hearts.

However, I'm concerned because the children of a polygamous marriage aren't given the freedom to choose. I had a friend from a polygamous marriage who was going to be forced to marry an old geezer when she was only 17. She ran away. The sister and brother who stayed behind are living in polygamous marriages.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
HA HA... I'm sorry folks, I've watched too many episodes of Big Love. And I've known two polygamous couples (it ended up not working for them). I just don't honestly see how it could work - even if it was legal. Of course that's just me wink I suppose there are people who make it work, or it wouldn't be an issue.

I do believe that people should be able to practice their faith according to their heart. But I guess I've never understood the connection of polygamy to religion.

If you want to have an extra husband or wife, just do it, you don't have to make it a religious thing, right?

Last edited by Inspiration Deanna; 09/13/10 11:24 AM.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
These are really good points Maureen.

We can't just say one religion gets freedom, and the rest don't. So absolutely. On the basis of religious freedom, I agree.

One of my friends used to work in the middle east. There, the men could have as many wives as they wanted with the caveat that they had to be able to provided a home for each wife, and give her a comfortable life.

Though I have to admit, one of the things I like about the show, "Big Love" is that they have a sisterhood. Sometimes it feels like our society cuts us off a bit, and they are always there to support each other.

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American
I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

That makes more sense to me too Phyllis. Maybe, though, it's a security thing. The husband working, having insurance, that kind of stuff?

Deanna Joseph

He would have to have one heck of a big insurance policy. whistle

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American

Here is another Mormon link to Palygamy

It has to do with gracing God with an abundant family..... so on so on.....

Oh yes and I LOVE watching Big Love on HBO. I got Vance hooked on it last year. LOL

Proud Pagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.