Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#626610 09/08/10 10:43 PM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
If you are not shopping at a Christian bookstore, you really never know what you will find on the shelves under the "Christian" heading. It is not uncommon to find a title like "Prove of Jesus as a Fraud." Though not Christian in reality, it will be found in that section at a secular store. Many of the books are not so obvious.

How can you tell without purchasing the book and reading it if it follows mainstream Christianity?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I am really surprised at some of the stuff that shows up in the Christian section at my local used bookstore. Very open minded pagan spell books sometimes wind up on the shelves there. I am never sure if the staff of the store isn't looking carefully, or if it is someones idea of a joke who is mixing them in on purpose. Generally, the titles sound kinda Christian, but jsut reading the front and back cover gives you an idea.
Personally I think it is important to be open to others, but to know my own position well, so I don't find it offensive, just odd. I do think it couldbe really misleading to new Christians trying to develop themselves early on, though.
Anyway, to answer your question:
look at the books publisher ; if it is put out by Thomas Nelson or Zondervan (or many other known Christian publishers), you know it is a Christian book.

Read the cover: a statement like "questioning Jesus" can have blurb following it that could read something about how the author struggled with concepts he learned growing up at church, then life experience taught him what it was all REALLY about. if the conclusion of the blurb says something like "renewed and strengthened faith in Christ" it is Christian. If it concludes "came to new understanding of how our brains amygdala hard wires us to look for a God who doesn't exist" it is not a Christian book.

The book cover indicates that it covers lots of material from other religions or folklore practices from around the world, AND obviously tries to avoid favoring any particular religious faith, it is not Christian.

If the book refers to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit as "Spirit" it is not Christian.

The book blatantly states in its cover material that it is part of the New Age or another non-Christian movement.

Personally, I welcome all ideas for discussion, but when I am looking for a Christian book, I am looking for a Christian book. It is important to have some way of discerning what is and isn't before you purchase and read.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Rebecca,

Even when you are shopping at a Christian bookstore, there are often un-Christian books and books with very flawed theology. If I find a book that sounds good, but whose author I am not familiar with or if I kind of want it, but have that nagging feeling that maybe I don't need to buy it right then, I will jot down the name of the book and the author and Google search it at home.

I normally read the front and back covers, table of contents, author's bio and read random pages or skim the most interesting chapter. If you pick up on anything that indicates a new age philosophy, all-roads lead to the same God, etc red flags should go up. It also helps to see if the author has any other books on the shelf. Sometimes, one of their other books will clue you in to the fact that the author is outside of the views of biblical christianity.

Hope that helps a little.

L
Shark
Shark
L
My two cents...even long-trusted Christian publishers are no longer any guarantee of quality content. I often do as Lyn suggests, go online and read some reviews before purchasing a title or author I'm not sure of. I really regret it when I end up with a book that's terrible...then I feel I can't even pass it on at Paperback Swap in good conscience!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
LeeAnn,

What do you do with them? I've thrown a couple in the trash, and gave another to a friend who is a pastor. I still have some sitting on a shelf at home.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Same problem with what to do with books. The good ones, I can give to the used book store or the library but the ones that are not well written or just plain wrong about spiritual matters - the only thing is to throw them away.

Parakeet
Parakeet
There are a number of crafts you can do with books, and books that are dangerously wrong are a good choice for them.

A faith promoting option is to decopage the book open and then paint the pages and cover (you could glue on a fake hardcover before hand if it's a paperback.) On one page is a poem or bible verse and on the other is a picture to go with it.

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
What a great idea! There is one book I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. It had great pictures but terrible theology. I could have used that one. frown

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Thanks Julie,

I watched a craft show the other day and wished I had a book. She took a knife and cut off the cover, then attached it to a wooden box the same size and used it for "hidden valuables". Alternately, with a mini saw, she applied something all around the pages so they'd stick together, and then hollowed out a space in the pages for a valuables compartment.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Does safe = unchallenging?

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.