Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi, lovely_rita!

How are you?

When you say "to get the accent right", are you talking about pronunciation? Or maybe it�s because your Spanish sounds to much "English"?

Originally Posted By: lovely_rita
I can't seem to get the accent right. My latin friends mostly just laugh when I try to say something in Spanish.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hey Angeles:

How do you get those "accent" marks and other Spanish characters in your posts?

And you probably stated this, but excuse me for asking - late to this forum and too lazy to go back and read stuff/lol - did you learn Spanish as a "first" or "second" language?

Thanks,

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi, Angela,

All these accents �, �,... and these �! and �?, I can type them as I am using a Spanish keyboard.

If you are using an English one and want to type them, here's some info:
How to Type Spanish Keyboard Symbols

(Please, let us know if it worked for you.)

And, about your last question, don't worry, no problem. I can tell you I was born and live in Spain, so I'm a Spanish native language or... Native Spanish language?? LOL :-)

(I'm always joking about this, as from the point of view of a Spanish speaker, it is somehow difficult to understand how to place those words in the correct place!)

I started studying English when I was 14, on my own, as at that time, the only language taught at school was French.

Ah! If I had this wonderful internet to study English when a was a student!! smile
So, my first language is Spanish.

�Hasta pronto!

Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Hey Angeles:

How do you get those "accent" marks and other Spanish characters in your posts?

And you probably stated this, but excuse me for asking - late to this forum and too lazy to go back and read stuff/lol - did you learn Spanish as a "first" or "second" language?

Thanks,

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Yes, I have my little cheat sheet next to the keyboard. It works great!

AnneE #676306 04/08/11 02:09 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks AnneE & Welcome to the forum, I see you are NEW smile

Hi Angeles, thanks for the feedback and I am so impressed with your English. I did BOTH Spanish & French in high school (now 52) and wished I had paid attention smile Yes, I aced both finals, but really did not care to learn. I remember my French teacher and her showing us the importance of "tongue" placement. She was good and really old. Wish I could remember her name.

Hmmm, "cheat sheet" Angie smile Hey, whatever it takes... By the way, if you don't mind me asking - is Angie short for Angela? Reason for asking - I have some folks that call me Angie smile

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hey! My boss, at the office, also calls me "Angie"!! But he's Spanish! It could also be, somehow, the short form for "�ngeles"! smile

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Interesting smile The funny part about all this is that some folks don't like their names shortened - so when people want to shorten mine, they ask. I tell then I don't care what they call me as long as I can "cash" my paycheck (lol). I notice some job applications now have a spot for "nicknames"... Of course I don't put anything in this slot, but I am sure some folks do. What I find is that a lot of folks go by their nickname rather than their real names. Some I can figure out, like Bob for Robert - but some, no way. It is like a totally out there smile

Originally Posted By: Angeles F. - Spanish language Host
Hey! My boss, at the office, also calls me "Angie"!! But he's Spanish! It could also be, somehow, the short form for "�ngeles"! smile

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Yes, that's really interesting!

Here in Spain, we have "Pepe" for "Jos�" (Joseph), or "Fina" for "Josefina" (Josephine).

The funniest thing about my name (my complete name is "Mar�a de los �ngeles") is that it has a lot of variations: Mar�a, Mari, Mari�ngeles, Angelines, �ngeles, Mari�n... So you can choose! LOL

That's maybe because it is a very long name. The reason for that "Mar�a" is that I was born during the dictatorial period, with Francisco Franco as the dictator during those years. And it was a -let's call it "oblitation"- to name a girl using always "Mar�a", and then, any name. For example: Mar�a de la Encarnaci�n, Mar�a del Carmen, Mar�a del Mar, etc...

Nowadays, it is different. You can name your daughter without that "Mar�a", it is totally optional. :-)

Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Interesting smile The funny part about all this is that some folks don't like their names shortened - so when people want to shorten mine, they ask. I tell then I don't care what they call me as long as I can "cash" my paycheck (lol). I notice some job applications now have a spot for "nicknames"... Of course I don't put anything in this slot, but I am sure some folks do. What I find is that a lot of folks go by their nickname rather than their real names. Some I can figure out, like Bob for Robert - but some, no way. It is like a totally out there smile

Originally Posted By: Angeles F. - Spanish language Host

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Angeles, thanks for the awesome information smile I have always been fascinated with how the Spanish do their names...

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Same happens to me, talking about how names -proper names- are used in English speaking countries.

And something people in Spain do not understand... first: Why women "loose" their name when they get married?

And second: Why people in English speaking countries- or, at least, in US and UK, do only have one name. I mean, my complete name is Mar�a de los �ngeles Fern�ndez Ram�rez (Fernandez is my father's name and Ramirez my mother's name).

As you can see, every country/culture has their own peculiarities but, from my point of view, that's what make us all interesting! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.