Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Angels are popular in our culture, but not well understood. I've scratched the surface of what Scripture has to say about angels in Angel Facts and Fallacies .

If you know the three angels named in the Bible, list them right here...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Nice article!

Gabriel
Michael
Raphael

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Thanks! But you'll have to give me reference for Raphael...

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Sorry LeeAnn,

Goes back to my younger days and catechism classes. Raphael is listed as an arc angel in the Book of Tobias, a Catholic Canon. He is also mentioned in Jewish apocryphal books; however, not in the books that were chosen for the Protestant Bible.

Are you looking for Lucifer as the other name?

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Hi LeeAnn,
Three angels named in the Protestant Bible? I would have to say Gabreal, Michael, .... and Satan.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
That would be the third one, yes. But I'll have to take a look at Tobias and read about Raphael (I just get a picture of a ninja turtle in my head when I say that name).

And, because we're both interested in defending the faith, I'll gently take issue with you about books being "chosen" for the Protestant Bible. The earliest Christians immediately began filtering out uninspired and fraudulent letters, and by the time church leaders got around to writing down definitive lists of canonical books, they were just a formal confirmation of the general consensus, a recognition of what Christians already accepted as Scripture. Hmmm...I feel another article coming on.

(And my understanding is that the Apocrypha were not added to make a Catholic Bible until 1546. Is that what you were taught?)

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
And in case anyone's confused, Lynn's right, too. Lucifer's name was changed to Satan.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Yikes! I "thought" I read Lyn's post but I missed the last line where she named Lucifer!

Lyn, I had of course always heard of Raphael but I never knew where he came from. Interesting.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
It would be a stretch for me to remember back that far. I truly don't remember half of what we were taught in catechism. It was a long time ago and I haven't gone to a catholic church in years.

Growing up in Protestant Sunday school classes, we were never taught that the additional 7 books were left out because they were fraudulent. We were always taught that there existed a difference in manuscripts used by Greek vs Hebrew. The extra books were referred to as historical writings that were not ratified (chosen) to be in the official Bible (basically what you said "not inspired"). No offense meant in the wording when I said "chosen".

I think you are right. That would be an interesting article! People frequently ask why the Catholic Bible has additional books that the Protestant Bible doesn't.

B
B
But what about leprechauns?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.