Page 1 of 2 1 2
#622225 08/30/10 10:05 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have little William wrapped in a baby blanket in the freezer and eventually need to deal with this.

How deep a hole does one dig? I do not have a fenced in yard and there are feral cats everywhere. I don't want William dug up and dragged around the yard.

It's very hard soil so my MIL offered to pay to have someone dig a hole for me.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sorry I can't help you,I had my Xena cremated and have her ashes with me. I couldn't bear to bury her here and move to Phoenix and leave her behind.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Jilly - sorry that you have to deal with such a question and sorry for the loss of your kitty (whenever that occurred).

I have buried many a cat, kitten, dog and even a few horses during my stay on this earth - you can safely bury your kitty about 3 feet deep - no one will dig him/her up at that depth.

The blanket will make a nice burial cloth and I usual mark the grave with a stone or two.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay. My MIL has offered to pay for someone to come and dig a hole. I called a handyman who will try to come today. I have the spot picked out and even started the hole. He suggested $50, which i thought was crazy. I offered $30, which still seems like a lot to dig a 3 foot hole for a kitten. It will probably take him five minutes.

Does this seem fair?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, I had the handyman guy come over and dig me a hole for $30. We could only get 2.5 feet because we ran into a tree root that was pretty big. I think that should be deep enough and I will place rocks on top of the grave as well.

William is still in my freezer and I don't know when I will work up the courage to actually finish this. It won't be today. I want to prepare a little ritual and bury him with a few meaningful things.

i still can't stop crying. my heart is ripped into so many shreds. He was only five months old.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
My thoughts are with you Jill - never easy saying good bye to a friend be they the furry or other kind and even harder when so young - very sorry for your loss

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Take your time. It doesn't have to be done today.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Parakeet
Parakeet
Jilly, I'm so very sorry about your loss. Losing a fur baby is one of the most painful things a person can be faced with. My thoughts are with you and little William....sweet baby boy.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yes, Jill, take your time. You'll know when you can do this.

We always bury our kitties with something meaningful to them. My Chauncy loved cheese, so he was buried with a slice of cheese. Sidney loved to smell Yankee (and other good smelling) candles, so he was buried with a little candle. And all the kitties we've lost have been buried with special things.

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Melissa Knoblett-Aman
Catholicism Editor | Cats Editor
Jilly, I am so sorry to know about little William. You must be so sad. And then to have to deal with the hole and the cost on top of that...!

I would bury your kitty when you are ready, the sooner the better so you can get on with the healing process. It would be nice to plant a prayer tree over Williams grave. Find a sturdy branch that has fallen off a tree. Do not break a branch off a tree, it must be found. Actually, the branch will find you, it will let you know if it is the right one and you will sense this. Say a prayer of thanks to the Mother tree who left it there for you. Make sure it is sturdy enough and long enough to plant deep enough so it will not fall down. You can place the rocks around the base of the prayer tree. It should have at least a few little branches, or several, growing off to the sides. On this little prayer tree, tie little pieces of paper with your own notes or prayers on them, or whatever is meaningful to you that symbolizes William and your love for him. These little prayers and symbols must be made of something that will deteriorate with time and the elements. As they fade away, so will Williams spirit leave and go to where it must journey to.

Hope this helps with your healing and brings you peace.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 08/31/10 02:46 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.