Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
In my first ever class, she pushed me harder than normally I push myself. Which is good of course. But it meant that by the second half hour my hands were sliding on my yoga mat. We'd do the downward-facing-dog, plank, down, cobra, downward-facing-dog, runner's sprint, etc. and by the fourth loop around my hands would be sliding. I'd have to keep re-seating them to somewhere new to keep from falling on my face.

I've posted before what mat I have, I'll find the link to that thread, but assuming the mat isn't the problem, how do I fix this?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I found the thread with my mat -

Lisa's Yoga Mat

I completely forgot that it had "sides"!! Maybe I had the wrong side up!

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Lisa, bumpy side up is best for traction, unless you're on a hard floor then you may need to do the opposite. Flipping it over and using the other side isn't "wrong", if it stops the problem!

Are your hands sweating? If so then you can use a couple of different things: cornstarch on the palms or a dab of whatever deodorant you use. If that's not it, there are other possibilities. First, you were in a class with others - did you notice that any of them had the same problem? It could be some kind of cleaning solution used on the floor (especially if it's carpet) or any kind of spray disinfectant that the studio may be using prior to class. Though it's sprayed in the air, it still gets on the floor and can cause slick spots.

Also, your mat may need to be cleaned. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer gel in my gym bag and use it for my mat. I just spread it on and let it dry. This is a fast process so you can use your mat within minutes.

It's also possible that your hand cream could be the culprit, or if you wash your hands right before class and didn't get them 100% dry. A little moisture could've gotten on your mat. If that's the case using sanitizer on your hands and then on your mat could stop this from happening.

Last, I see the date of your "Lisa's Yoga Mat" is 2008. It could be that your mat is simply worn out if you've been using it a lot. Or....if it's been out in the sun drying or if you've been practicing yoga outdoors. The texture of your mat can wear down over time and/or from washing.

I hope this helps you!

Nancy

Last edited by YogaEditor; 08/20/10 04:58 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't use any hand cream, so that wouldn't be it, but I haven't cleaned my mat ever with sanitizer so I think I'll do that before I use it the next time. We'll see if that helps!

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
I've always had major issues with sweaty hands/feet. I used small towels (available at the studio) under my hands for certain poses. I learned this trick from a Bryan Krest yoga dvd.

I eventually got tired of this so I bought a jute mat. It was $50 but totally worth it for me. No more slipping issues : ) Love the feel of a jute mat too. More natural feeling than those plasticky mats.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I wonder if humidity is an issue. Living out West, i never have an issue with sweaty hands.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well before my second class I wiped down the mat with my eco-grapefruit-cleaner (which I think is just grapefruit juice and water). The weather seemed exactly the same so that wasn't a change. However the instructor had been on vacation last week and we had a sub, and she did a ton of "moving" poses. So spinning quickly between downward facing dog, plank, cobra, etc.

This week the "normal" instructor was back and it was a different style of activity, more of a strenuous holding than a quick moving. I didn't slip at all during this round. So it could be the cleaning I did, or it could just be that the yoga was "slow yoga".

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Too many variables to decide. You'll have to keep reporting. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think they offer a higher level of yoga - a fitness yoga - that I'm not feeling ready for yet. So if I give that a try someday and it's the faster paced one I can see what that does to my hands slipping smile

Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.