#618330 08/17/10 09:43 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Albeit, fiction means a story is make believe; however, many of these stories have a basis in truth.

Do you feel that theology should be accurate in fiction or should an author be able to use it as a starting point and twist it to "fit" the story?

Does an author have a responsibility to the reader to always use correct facts and doctrines?

I'd really like to know your viewpoint!

Last edited by Lyn-Christian Lit; 08/17/10 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I don't know that an author has a responsibility to always use correct truth and doctrines. So often, writing and storytelling can be ways for the writer to work through their own struggles with truth. Forcing a responsibility to "correct" truth and doctrines could keep a writer from really grappling with truth for themselves. Even when a writer grapples with a truth, the reader is able to learn from the writer. I think what is important for teen and adult readers is to learn to read with discernment, and be able to call into question the message the writer is sending. For children's literature, however, it is much more important to present as much that is correct as possible. As a child gets older, you can start asking them "Does this make sense? do you agree? why or why not?" but a small child needs to build their foundation first. Personally, I have learned a great deal from a few authors I whole heartedly disagree with, even more so when I could explain exactly why I didn't agree with them.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
That's a very good point and I like your view! I hadn't thought about it in terms of the author struggling to work out his or her own viewpoints and issues. The reader could potentially share some of the same ideas and work them out along with the author.

My concern in presenting reviews is that I examine what is or is not based on sound, traditional doctrines. A new Christian is like a baby on milk and lacks the ability to discern truth from fiction. Ultimately, it is up to the reader to decide if they are ready to read a book that may contain mixed doctrine.

Blessings!

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.