Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Please note: This thread was about the sky in the summer of 2010. You may still enjoy reading the postings and the links remain active. Please don't be disappointed that you can't see this line-up of planets now. Remember there's always something else to see in the sky!

Many of you will be able to see a lovely sight some 30-40 minutes after sunset.

In the western sky a very bright Venus has Saturn and Mercury close together & to its upper left. They'll all stay fairly close together into the first half of August. And if you have binoculars and sharp eyes--and a clear western horizon--you may also see Mercury. It's to the lower right of Venus.

I'm afraid that if you live at higher latitudes with late sunsets you'll probably only be able to see Venus unless you have binoculars or a telescope.

Please let me know which of these planets you see. All I've seen are clouds and a few brief looks at Venus! Oh, and lots of rain.

For more sights of the summer sky, have a look at this week's atronomy article. Absolute Beginners -- The Summer Sky

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 09/26/10 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Here in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, yesterday was lovely and clear, so I walked up to the golf course (15 minutes, see the "walking" topic) to watch the sunset and look for planets. There was a band of thin clouds along the horizon that blocked any possible view of Mercury but gave beautiful pearly golden and rose colors to the sunset. After a bit Venus popped into view, but the twilight was so prolonged that I walked back home (another 15 minutes) and waited until dark when I drove up to the Nobska Point lighthouse where I was able to see Mars and Saturn quite close together with Venus below and to the right of them just above the western horizon. The air was SO clear that the lights on Martha's Vineyard across the Sound were as bright as I have ever seen them, it was a beautiful evening!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Claybird, what a wonderful description of your evening. It really is something to treasure to experience such beauty. Thank you for telling us about it--I enjoyed reading your account. (And am not too envious despite this being my sixth night of unbroken cloud cover.)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Tonight the crescent moon will be joining the three planets. Should be really special.

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 08/12/10 08:32 AM.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.