Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#610604 07/13/10 12:43 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi, I have always said that writing a journal by hand is more therapeutic than typing it on the computer. I have kept notebooks for years. However, I am now not writing in my journal very much at all, even though I want to do, because my hand soon gets tired from writing and then I don't write as much as I need to, plus I do get concerned about privacy and I think I would feel more at ease knowing I'd got a password protected journal on a computer. I have now bought a notebook laptop which is easy to carry around and I guess when I don't have it on me and want to write I could write on paper and type it up afterwards. The thing is I don't know if this computer journalling will work. I do like the character of a written diary but I keep a handwritten appointment diary (which isn't as private) and I find this OK as I don't care for electronic appointment diaries as by the time you have accessed the date you could have flipped over a page in your diary and writing short entries doesn't make your hand ache. Also, regarding privacy, I have loads of paper journals locked in a tin but there still is the fear of them being seen, the lock being accessed or anything. What do I do with those? If I am to keep my journals on line in future then I don't want any of them hanging around to be seen. Typing the old ones up would take forever. How many of you journal on a computer and do you find it better than writing by hand?

Last edited by Citygirl; 07/13/10 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Citygirl. I have an entire bin of journals that I've kept since 1986 (with a long gap from 1988-1999). I don't worry about privacy in those as I think it's wrong to read someone elses journal, so shame on anyone who would read mine without my permission. I'm not concerned. They would be wrong. Not me.

When it comes to electronic journals, I don't do well with these in that I can't truly be myself when I'm typing. When I'm typing it's like I'm trying to compose. I'm going back and editing etc, whereas when I'm writing my thoughts by hand I'm more in touch with what I'm truly trying to express. My thoughts and ideas flow.

Also I love having actual little books to look through. You can't do that if everything is on the computer.

Last edited by leahmullen; 07/26/10 10:42 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

I
Shark
Shark
I
Hello! I'd like to jump in here... I have been writing a journal for 45 years, and it's been over ten years since I started keeping it on the computer. Typing is a whole lot easier on my achey old hands than writing in longhand.

There are many ways to get more of a feel of journal-writing when you're typing. One is to use a journal-writing program. There are quite a few, and nearly all of them let you try them out before you buy them so you won't get stuck with a program you never use. Another way is what I did- namely to make a template in a word-processing program. I did one for Microsoft Word and sent it in to them, and it's actually available on their downloads site.

There are advantages and disadvantages for everything, I think. The lack of pen-and-paper feeling is, to me, compensated by my ability to insert images and change font styles anytime I like!

The journal resides on a USB flash drive, so it goes where I go.

As for my many, many volumes of old journals... I haven't decided what to do with them. I don't have any children to be either embarrassed or bored to death by my ramblings, so they'll probably eventually end up in a landfill after I shuffle off this mortal coil! As for now, I can honestly tell you that no one really gives a good rat's patooty about my writings...

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
I really like the idea of keeping a journal on my computer. It's easier (and neater) for me to type than write. If I have to write something, i tend to put it off.

Gecko
Gecko
I like the idea of keeping a journal on my computer but I will also admit that the feeling is not the same as when I write it by hand. Also about privacy, physical journals are easy to get to, but electronic journals can be hacked into as well. Plus, if your hard drive crashes, so do all of your journals, so you have to constantly back everything up. I guess there are pros and cons to each...

diamond engagement rings
*www.encoredt.com
I like having a journal, but i only write it by hand. Not really keen about the electronical journal hehe :)

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
You could always donate old journals to a historical society with a caveat that they not be opened for 100 years. I bet in 100 years that people might be interested in how people of "our time" thought, just like we'd be interested in reading journals from the 1800s.

I like having a pretty journal to curl up in bed with. I do also like doing online journals during the day, i.e. my blog posts.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
C
I have to do both. I need to feel pen on paper, but if something is screaming to get out, then I turn to the computer. The only issue with this is that you have too many things in too many places.

I
I
I was just reading an article on computer vs hand writing a journal. It said handwriting activates the brain more, so we are more apt to act on the goals or situations we were writing about. I'm not computer literate enough to journal on the computer, so have handwritten journals only.

J
J
Elizabeth,
Could you share what the title of the article is that you mentioned? I am really interested in reading it. I am someone that needs to write things out, whether it is journals or notes or a reading log. I don't retain things as long if I type them. Something about writing them down keeps them in my brain for that much longer so maybe that is why I retain them more.

smile

Jennifer Spedowfski-Martin
Creativity Editor
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.