Next Thread
Print Thread
#596708 04/21/10 09:02 AM
J
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
J
As a Type 1 diabetic and an avid traveler, I know that the two need not be mutually exclusive. However, the amount of planning and thinking ahead necessary to travel as a diabetic can be extremely daunting and off-putting, which might cause someone to give up on a trip. I just want to say "Don't give up!" You can still have an amazing experience, no matter if you're going one town away, or halfway across the world.

A forum seems like a good place to discuss ideas, questions, and success stories about this kind of thing. I'm sure there are others like myself who will share their knowledge with anyone who asks. smile

Jessica Smith
Poetry
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
J
Just got back from a weekend trip to Qingdao, China. Enjoyed some seafood dishes, plus a tour of China's oldest brewery. Had a few scary food experiences (always to be expected in China) but overall it was great, my meter, insulin pen and I had a lovely time. smile

Jessica Smith
Poetry
I actually never even though about how much of an issue being diabetic could cause for traveling, after all 30 odd years of my life with my mom traveling to Europe etc without any issues didn't prepare me for the trouble I'd face with my husband traveling down to the US for the first time or second time for that matter. First time they wouldn't pass me with the scanner said they had to so a pat down instead, not a big issue but the reference to my weight was off putting to say the least as being the reason they where needing to pat me down (I was 50 pounds less then I was when I did a cruse and never had such rudeness said to me though american security onto the cruse ship). Second time down, I lost my supplies to the TWA twits all cause they said my scripts etc where forgeries and that I wasn't really a diabetic (yet I had my scrips with me and all the stuff the site said to take with me) ... needless to say going for a a few days without the insulin wasn't great (had to have my folks over night curry the new pack of insulin to me - which really meant 2 days not 24 hours as I'd have thought). Only thing I can say is filing a complaint with the TWA did nothing but a polite letter saying no such thing could or did happen, bull [censored]. I chocked it up to stupid ppl to lazy to know what their job is and yet another bad taste in my mouth about traveling in the US. Thankfully when I had to leave, I had no such issues - got asked how much insulin I was carrying in my bag and got a pass though, no further comments no other issues (actually got told to put my shoes back on for some reason).

Last edited by Nyx Cole; 07/21/10 01:02 PM.

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.