Next Thread
Print Thread
#611248 07/18/10 11:59 PM
C
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
C
How much TV is too much? Does it depend on age? Do you agree with what the current "authorities" are saying for preschoolers (no TV before 2 years)? What are your thoughts?

Chana Johnson
Children's TV
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Koala
Koala
F
I let my 2 year old here and there watch a program on TV. But it consist of about 20 min. otherwise she has to play with her toys or outside, we read a lot of books also.

Flower
V
V
Hi Chana,

I think there are some programs for children that are great and can be educational for them. However there's also a lot out there that are not and influencing our children in ways we can't even imagine.

The biggest issue for me however is not so much the TV programs but the advertisements in between. The power of advertisements at a subliminal level is so powerful and is reflected in the consumer society we have today. Is it any wonder kids want more all the time when they are constantly bombarded with the latest gadgets and must have items? (Even as young as 2 or 3 years old). In fact as adults we're also affected. We need the best cars, clothes, the new anti-aging creams, and the list goes on....

I agree with flower70 that TV should be kept to a minimum for very young children and that they should be playing outdoors and learning how to interact with other people. I also think that children under 2 don't really need TV. Although if I'm honest when my daughter was younger putting the TV on for a half hour allowed me to get other things done.

I guess, the responsibility falls on us, the parents, to ensure that we constantly monitor what our children are watching and to always ensure it's age specific.

Great topic! Makes you think...

Vicki

Vicki McCarthy - Special Education Editor
SpecialEducation

C
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
C
Vicki- you make a great point, and it's actually one of my pet peeves too. I hate the ads in between- commercials are horrible, mostly. Another reason I monitor what ALL of my kids watch- even the tween and teen. I especially hate movie previews- I never cease to be amazed at what is "approved for all ages" to see as a preview.

Chana Johnson
Children's TV
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My thoughts are - how many parents sit down and watch endless hours of TV? It's not a shock that they would let their kids do the same thing. Not to mention parents that use the TV as a built in babysitter. Even educational TV should be limited. You learn more out of life by interacting and doing rather then staring at a TV screen.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
C
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
C
You make a good point about parents watching too much tv, and it's really not going to work if they tell their kids not to, but do it themselves.

Chana Johnson
Children's TV
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
well i think for students 3-4 hrs per day television is okay..

Moderated by  Chana- Children's TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.