Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Kellyack91, sienawilson, test18818, Home Circus, anthonyroman1210
56583 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56583 Members
417 Forums
111488 Topics
786283 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 273
Nancy Roussy 174
Rosie 66 153
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 138
loongdragon 115
James Andrew 109
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 76
Jilly 65
Lestie4containergardens 65
Susan - Meditation Editor 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#610984 - 07/16/10 06:23 PM New Law in TX -- What do you think?
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: North Carolina, USA
A new state law in TX is requiring professors & administrators to post specific information online, such as syllabi, assignments, reading lists, curricula vitae (detailed resumes for the faculty), department budgets, and results of student evaluations.

Is this too much or is it needed information? Will this take too much time from their other duties? Will it end up costing the state too much money in related expenses, such as server updates?

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Twitter Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Facebook Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to MySpace Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Del.icio.us Digg New Law in TX -- What do you think? Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Yahoo My Web Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Google Bookmarks Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Stumbleupon Add New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Reddit
#610999 - 07/16/10 07:46 PM Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? [Re: Susan-Colleges]
Vance Today in History Ed Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
The syllabi, reading lists and assignments are good ideas so prospective students can shop around for cheaper books and prepare for their upcoming assignments.

I think the resumes, department budgets and student evaluations are a waste of time and money.

Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Twitter Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Facebook Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to MySpace Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Reddit
#611036 - 07/16/10 10:37 PM Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I agree that having assignment information up front will be helpful. I think this is especially helpful for adult students who may have multiple responsibilities and may want to work ahead when they can. However, I do know that some professors, however, prefer to wait to give out some assignments as part of their teaching methods. I think that part of the reason some professors want to prevent students from working ahead is to make sure certain information is covered and to have students learn from reviews of their previous work. Is this a valid concern on those professors' part?

Regarding the textbooks, there is actually a new federal law that just went into effect this month requiring schools to give textbook information at the time of registration to give students more options. To see the discussion on this forum about new laws related to high priced textbooks, visit Textbook discussion

While I can see benefit in seeing what professors' accomplishments, posting a full resume seems to be going a bit too far to me. Even if information such as addresses are removed, it still seems like an invasion of privacy. Do you agree?

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Twitter Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Facebook Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to MySpace Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Law in TX -- What do you think? to Reddit

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Turn Your Passion into a Profitable Business
by Angel - Business Coach
Business Coach
38 minutes 29 seconds ago
Greetings from Kathryn
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Short Stories
39 minutes 20 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
47 minutes 2 seconds ago
Gardening Bumper Stickers
by Beetlemess
Container Gardening
55 minutes 40 seconds ago
The Gifts of ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 12:56 PM
Arbor Day 25th April
by Lestie4containergardens
Container Gardening
Today at 12:46 PM
Leather Jewelry Tips
by Anthony Roman
Jewelry Making
Today at 11:25 AM
Suggestion for fashion jewelry?
by James Andrew
Beauty Basics
Today at 11:21 AM
Any cheap cheap stores for the Autumn apparel
by James Andrew
Women's Fashion
Today at 11:10 AM
Orchid Photography
by Anu D - Orchids
Orchids
Today at 07:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, Angel - Business Coach), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.