Next Thread
Print Thread
#610811 07/14/10 10:41 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We had no cable at all until 1999, when with the year 2000 change we wanted to make sure we could watch the events around the world and prepare for any server issues. Both of us were heavily in the tech world at the time. Once we got it, we haven't released it yet.

I think I'm ready to start cutting back on cable. The only for-pay show I watch is True Blood on HBO. I think I would miss True Blood. Could I be happy just waiting for the DVDs to come out and watching it then?

On the other hand, how much money am I paying every month for that one show?? smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It's a huge money saver to only watch hulu.com - but then i have to be very careful not to get spoilered on certain shows, since eps come out a week later.

There is a premium version of hulu that is ten dollars a month I am thinking about.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We just negotiated with Charter cable to chop our cable bill by 30%. Every bit definitely helps!

It took an hour on the phone, well worth it.

We use Charter for the internet service, which I definitely need a high speed connection for. We're now paying about $120/mo for the very solid internet (which is what then powers our Vonage and MagicJack phones) plus the TV channels.

It still seems high to me, but somehow it had skyrocketed to a far higher price once we "fell off a promotional period", so I suppose in comparison I'm happy to have it back "down" to $120. I look at it as a critical core component of my "at home business" - really it's my main expense. It would be as if I was a farmer and this was the cost for all my seeds, animal feed, etc. So it's not something I can really skimp on. I need that net connection as solid as humanly possible.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
How did you convince them? I've never been able to do that.

Do you feel the cable tv part is important to your business or just the internet service?

Last edited by Jilly; 08/09/10 01:09 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
They run specials and then they inflate to a high price when the special period ends. So when they were convinced we really were going to abandon them for the various alternatives, they gave us the lowest price again.

Absolutely, with all the sites I run, it's absolutely necessary to be able to watch the latest specials on the Da Vinci Code, etc. because that's how I earn my money smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Fair enough. i was wondering if you were going to back yourself into a corner with a rationalization, but it does seem in your case that having cable contributes to your income and not just entertainment.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
On Friday i drove by a billboard that said i could get cable internet for only 25 a month. I think i pay 50 or 75 now, I am not sure. I know its a lot. So i will have to check into this thing with Cable One, and hope they cover my area, or that it's not part of a 'bundle' pricing.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, that billboard was for Cable One, which is not in my area. Clearwire is also not in my area yet. I did find an ad for a cable internet service that covers my area and is only $36 instead of the $50 i pay NPG...so i need to call the new company and check that out. it would be great to have better speeds and pay less, but i am not sure how to change things out. I don't want a break in my service.

Hmmmm. I will be gone for two weeks in November. Maybe i can use that hiatus to not have service going at all - that might save around $25, if you think about it.

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.