Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Eleanor Cocreham, Dr M Jordaan, Ketan bhargav, Lyle, dadsgaragedoors
56542 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56542 Members
417 Forums
111381 Topics
785731 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 276
loongdragon 168
Nancy Roussy 162
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 138
Rosie 66 137
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 98
James Andrew 89
Lestie4containergardens 68
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Jilly 53
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#610811 - 07/15/10 02:41 AM Cutting down the Cable Bill
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

We had no cable at all until 1999, when with the year 2000 change we wanted to make sure we could watch the events around the world and prepare for any server issues. Both of us were heavily in the tech world at the time. Once we got it, we haven't released it yet.

I think I'm ready to start cutting back on cable. The only for-pay show I watch is True Blood on HBO. I think I would miss True Blood. Could I be happy just waiting for the DVDs to come out and watching it then?

On the other hand, how much money am I paying every month for that one show?? smile

Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Twitter Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Facebook Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to MySpace Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Del.icio.us Digg Cutting down the Cable Bill Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Yahoo My Web Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Google Bookmarks Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Stumbleupon Add Cutting down the Cable Bill to Reddit
#610828 - 07/15/10 06:02 AM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
It's a huge money saver to only watch hulu.com - but then i have to be very careful not to get spoilered on certain shows, since eps come out a week later.

There is a premium version of hulu that is ten dollars a month I am thinking about.

Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Twitter Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Facebook Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to MySpace Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Stumbleupon Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Reddit
#611034 - 07/16/10 10:23 PM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Jilly]
BellaOnline Editor

We just negotiated with Charter cable to chop our cable bill by 30%. Every bit definitely helps!

It took an hour on the phone, well worth it.

We use Charter for the internet service, which I definitely need a high speed connection for. We're now paying about $120/mo for the very solid internet (which is what then powers our Vonage and MagicJack phones) plus the TV channels.

It still seems high to me, but somehow it had skyrocketed to a far higher price once we "fell off a promotional period", so I suppose in comparison I'm happy to have it back "down" to $120. I look at it as a critical core component of my "at home business" - really it's my main expense. It would be as if I was a farmer and this was the cost for all my seeds, animal feed, etc. So it's not something I can really skimp on. I need that net connection as solid as humanly possible.

Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Twitter Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Facebook Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to MySpace Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Stumbleupon Add Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill to Reddit
#615827 - 08/09/10 05:07 AM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

How did you convince them? I've never been able to do that.

Do you feel the cable tv part is important to your business or just the internet service?

Edited by Jilly (08/09/10 05:09 AM)

#619676 - 08/22/10 05:43 AM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Jilly]
BellaOnline Editor

They run specials and then they inflate to a high price when the special period ends. So when they were convinced we really were going to abandon them for the various alternatives, they gave us the lowest price again.

Absolutely, with all the sites I run, it's absolutely necessary to be able to watch the latest specials on the Da Vinci Code, etc. because that's how I earn my money smile

#619822 - 08/22/10 09:59 PM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Fair enough. i was wondering if you were going to back yourself into a corner with a rationalization, but it does seem in your case that having cable contributes to your income and not just entertainment.

Not that there would be anything wrong with that. smile

#619823 - 08/22/10 10:01 PM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

On Friday i drove by a billboard that said i could get cable internet for only 25 a month. I think i pay 50 or 75 now, I am not sure. I know its a lot. So i will have to check into this thing with Cable One, and hope they cover my area, or that it's not part of a 'bundle' pricing.

#637389 - 10/19/10 07:30 PM Re: Cutting down the Cable Bill [Re: Jilly]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Okay, that billboard was for Cable One, which is not in my area. Clearwire is also not in my area yet. I did find an ad for a cable internet service that covers my area and is only $36 instead of the $50 i pay NPG...so i need to call the new company and check that out. it would be great to have better speeds and pay less, but i am not sure how to change things out. I don't want a break in my service.

Hmmmm. I will be gone for two weeks in November. Maybe i can use that hiatus to not have service going at all - that might save around $25, if you think about it.

Moderator:  Jilly 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Creative Problem Solving and ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
1 second ago
What is the best way to clean silver?
by Cindycriford
Fashion Jewelry
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Ken Burns Effect In Motion - Record Keyframes
by Digital Art and Animation
Flash and Animation
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Ken Burns Effect In Motion 5 - Set Up
by Digital Art and Animation
Flash and Animation
Yesterday at 09:57 PM
Moon Watching
by Kathryn - Short Stories
Short Stories
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters
by ancientflaxman
Spinning
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
New Post- Irish Tay
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Yesterday at 05:45 PM
Irish Culture!
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Yesterday at 05:33 PM
Look up - there are beautiful sights in the sky!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 05:18 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches, Izeigo), 147 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.