Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#610540 07/13/10 06:31 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We were having a discussion in my English class about perfume and how some people had allergies to it. The perfume wearers seemed incredulous at the idea that people could be allergic to their perfume. They think of perfume as a "gift" they bring to the room, filling the restaurant they visit (for example) with their chosen scent of lilacs and lavender.

I would have to believe that there are a number of people who would then have allergic types of reactions in that restaurant. Does anyone have this issue, and what do you do in that case?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Koala
Koala
F
I do have allergies to some perfumes its terrible. When i�m in a small or enclosed room i have to leave, i don�t get any air, it takes about 20 min. for it to get better. I dislike it when people but over abundunces on, as if its not enough when they ride by on there bikes and you smell it a half hour later, phuuuuu.

Flower
I have allergies to strong perfumes and it makes me miserable: headaches, nose bleed, burning sinuses, watery eyes, the works --some even give me asthma attacks. Before I retired I worked in offices. Some of the women would wear really strong perfumes with odors that lingered for hours wherever they went.

I would let them know how it affects me and ask them to please stay away from me so I would not suffer. If they continued to wear the perfume after I politely told them how it bothers me, I would go to my boss (with a nose bleed, cough , and red eyes) and tell him/her that I had to go home sick due to the perfume. That usually stopped the perfume wearer from wearing that perfume at work.

I could just never get it! Why do some women feel the need for such strong scents? A very light delicate scent, like floral, is much better. In Victorian times and earlier I know people wore heavy perfumes to mask odors because of lack of bathing -- but, come on...this is modern day with showers and tubs available for daily use.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 07/13/10 08:46 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Maybe strong perfume doesn't bother some people but I have a hard time believing it doesn't. I know I am sensitive enough that it would spoil my dining out experience if seated near someone who had doused herself/himself in perfume.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
S
S
Yes, I'm very allergic to perfumes and it makes me sore throat.

D
D
Yes, I think some people are very sensitive, not only perfumes but any strong smell can affect their health.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Many perfumes make me sneeze, cough and give me a headache. If someone is wearing a particularly strong scent my eyes will start watering.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 03/10/11 05:23 AM.

Linda Heywood

Koala
Koala
I get migrane headaches from smells. One of the worst places to go (I don't go anymore) is a shop that sells candles. Bad smells effect me the same way. The other day we had to go to the social security office and there were 4 people that smelled like they hadn't had a bath in forever and reeked like cigarettes. They had a toddler with them and poor kid he smelled really bad.

I always wonder how much smelly stuff some of those people that leave clouds of smell wear! I find it hard to find products that aren't just overwhelming with smell. Not everyone wants to smell like something other than clean!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Elephant
Elephant
Have you ever tried natural oils. These are so subtle and they are all natural. I find them at Whole Foods or other health food stores. Just one drop is all you need.

I also read that eating soaked almonds makes you smell heavenly but I have not tried this yet.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Koala
Koala
No, I have never tried them. I don't mind being smell free

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.