logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Are there many women in archery competitions? I would love to hear from you and about your concerns or issues with this sport.

If anyone has any advice or knowledge of archery and women competitors please feel free to comment.

I received an email some time ago from a woman who is concerned that there are not enough women in archery and not enough competitions for them.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
What a cool question! I checked Bella's Channel List under Sports, and archery isn't listed. Guess you already knew that, lol. Since I got my first bow, I've seen a lot of changes even if they are very sloooow. It is now easy to find a light bow that isn't a toy. BUT a (recurve) bow of 35lb still needs 'Childrens' arrows! Wish more women would take up archery so the mfgrs. would put out a line of Adult Lite arrows - but we're a long way from there, I think. Oh well, they shoot the same, and I get over it. I see a lot more women and entire families into archery, but seen none using recurves (sometimes called Olympic). I guess the compound bows are the thing now. They do most of the pulling work and are very accurate. Me, I like traditional.

OP Offline
Is it possible for one to make their own bows and arrows -- or to have them custome made? I have never seriously tried archery. When we were kids we lived next to a forested swamp area and we made our own bows and arrows. Of course those were pretty flimsy, but we were able to shoot at targets and the arrows stuck.

It just seems to me that any sport like that would have someone who could make custom sets.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
I ran amok with my bow from ages 11-17 at which time I discovered horses and for a time I blended both, till I got hollered at. lol There is an outfit here in Tucson that makes beautiful bows and even has an Olympic trainer to teach. Called PSE, which stands for Precision Sports Equip?. Their Buckeye bow is great, I own one. As far as getting custom, I don't think you could do it for less than the price of the Buckeye (around $100 when I bought mine). The arrows for this size bow are just a bit shorter, it's the only difference. It's just the 'idea' of having to shop in Children's that gets to me - the arrows are just as sharp and serious as their longer counterparts. I'm not up to running amok anymore, so the a/c ranges are really the only option. I have wished for archery playmates all my life. I really wish more women would discover it.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love archery! When my grandmother passed I bought myself a new car with my inheritance...and archery lessons.

Turns out I am a natural, even if I am a left eye shooter.

As for your other Qs I am not too sure, I do know that Gena Davis is an Olympic archer.

AND that if you were to be making your own bow, the traditional wood to use would be that of the yew bush as it grows long and straight while still maintaining flexibility.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
That is really neat! Did you get yourself a bow? if so do you like it? it it left-hand since you shoot left eye? I remember reading that Gena Davis was in competition at 37lb. *For anyone interested in archery, a 37 lb bow is a 35lb bow with extra twists in the bow string. The twists shorten the the string, and make the bow more powerful and harder to pull. For reference, a "25 lb bow" is fairly easy for a 12 yr old kid to pull. I wonder if she is going to the 2012 Olympics.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I do shoot left eye...both bows and fire arms.

I do not have a bow and since those lessons were 8 years ago I couldn't tell you what I shot with.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

OP Offline
Some Native American women in the past were just as good as the men in using bows and arrows. Lozen, Apache woman warrior, was one of those women. Her tribe and her brother, Victorio (famous warrior and leader) greatly respected her and her enemies feared her.

I do not see much about archery competitions. I wish they would have more and televise them.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.