Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Great site! Good advice and up to date info. Only, (and this is probably a whine) all the workout pictures seem to show young people.

I'm 64, was in pretty good shape until I broke a leg about 9 years ago. Been downhill ever since! I have some allergies and food sensitivities, but have always eaten well (kids call my diet 'leaves & twigs' laugh ). However, I have continued to gain about 5 pounds a year, no matter what I do or eat. I was even so sick a few years ago that I did not eat anything for several days, and had reduced calorie intake for about two weeks after. Only lost a couple pounds, and I bet it wasn't fat!

Are there exercise programs out there that really have been tested on post menopausal females? I mean, teen age boys have bodies that know exactly what to do with exercise and good food! Old ladies don't generally have that luxury, and we complain a lot!

A lifetime of skinny has not prepared me for rounded grandma flab. Hey, I always wanted some curves...but just not that far down!

I'm betting that if there is such a thing that does work for (not so) little old ladies, you'll be able to direct me! Thanks.

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
Are you able to exercise now? You could try a yoga class, which helps tone and build up your balance and muscles. Most classes take physical limitations into account.

You could also try water aerobics which burns calories, tones muscles and is a great aerobic exercise. It doesn't hurt the knees and joints.

At the Y where I go there is a "Silver Sneakers" class every morning geared to those over 50 and some in there are over 80! They do aerobics, muscle toning, balance and more in an hour.

check at your local Y or Rec center for senior exercise classes. You really have to work at it as you get older.

Plain old walking is also an exercise that tones and isn't hard on your body.

Elephant
Elephant
Hi Cheryll

I'm not sure what you mean by "all the workout pics seem to show young people". If you mean my videos and workout pics then I'm not that young. I'm 40 and I work to stay lean just like everybody else (my hormonal issues started before 40, peri-menopause runs in my family and a really bad case of adrenal fatigue didn't help either but I got it under control now).

Most of my clients are women 55 and over (many are 60 and some 80) and all have been able to get lean and stay lean by lifting heavier weights 3 times a week and doing some type of Interval Cardio, mobility and flexibility 2-3 days a week.

Staying active daily is the key. The formula I teach my clients is:

3 days 20-40 min. of mobility + strength circuits + flexibility

2-3 days 10-20 min. cardio intervals

2 days 20-40 min. mobility and flexibility (yoga is ideal since is really helps with hormonal balance)

You don't need to starve yourself to lose fat but you do need to eat a non-processed diet 80% of the time, control portions, and take care of yourself (sleep 8 hours, manage stress, etc.).

The reason most women find it so hard to stay lean is they eat all kinds of processed garbage that disrupts hormonal balance (cereals, crackers, non organic proteins, yogurt, cheeses, and soy foods, fruits and veggies chock full of pesticides also disrupt hormones).

Try to eat as clean as you can and exercise daily is pretty much all you need to do. Doesn't matter what age you are (plenty of obese teens running around these days too). And for the record you are pretty young compared to some of my clients and visitors and can do many of the Fatloss Workouts on my site : )

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks, Monica!

I live in the middle of an organic farm and the only processed foods I eat regularly are breads I make myself, organic butter and organic mayo. (And one kind of sugarless chocolate candy, maybe 3 pieces a week) All our meats are organic and have been for many years. Carbs are from whole grains, root veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds.

Walking used to be my workout of choice, but lately the ankle that broke does not tolerate it, so I switched recently to a recumbent trike. We average 5 miles a day right now, over unpaved country roads. I figure the hills provide interval cardio, LOL.

But I could add in strength routines and yoga to round out your recommendations. They would also be easier to continue when winter comes and the trike goes into storage.

Thanks for making my day hopeful!!

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
Elephant
Elephant
Organic farm! I'm jealous!!! Sounds like you are already doing so many of the right things. I think balancing out your existing workouts with weights and yoga will help a lot.

A trike sounds so fun. A few intense 30 second intervals on those hills every 3-5 minutes will increase the calorie burn big time and help you achieve the fat loss.

Also some heel walking around your living room a couple times a week can help your ankle heal faster : ) Just take it slow.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.