Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Salume Kh, Badnezzahmi, vincischool, christylynn81, minas
57218 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57218 Members
417 Forums
113031 Topics
801285 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 892
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 472
Beetlemess 325
Nancy Roussy 145
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 86
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 72
Sandra Investing/HFinance 50
Susan - Meditation Editor 43
Mona - Astronomy 41
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#690979 - 05/27/11 09:29 PM Re: All-time faves? [Re: Shira]
.... Offline
Shark

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game & the series, Songmaster,
Anne MacCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series, petaybee series, crystal singer series
Lord of the Rings

Add Re: All-time faves? to Twitter Add Re: All-time faves? to Facebook Add Re: All-time faves? to MySpace Add Re: All-time faves? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: All-time faves? Add Re: All-time faves? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: All-time faves? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: All-time faves? to Stumbleupon Add Re: All-time faves? to Reddit
#691140 - 05/29/11 03:57 AM Re: All-time faves? [Re: ....]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Kansas USA
I love the Ender books. My all time favorite Sci-Fi author is Robert Heinlein. He has given me thousands of hours of pleasure. Also, he has shaped my attitudes. When I had children, I made sure that they were exposed to his world-view, too. "Back in the day" he had some of the few strong female characters.
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Add Re: All-time faves? to Twitter Add Re: All-time faves? to Facebook Add Re: All-time faves? to MySpace Add Re: All-time faves? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: All-time faves? Add Re: All-time faves? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: All-time faves? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: All-time faves? to Stumbleupon Add Re: All-time faves? to Reddit
#706922 - 08/11/11 07:13 PM Re: All-time faves? [Re: Shira]
Amy - Romance Movies Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Pennsylvania
George R. R. Martin's series - A Song of Ice And Fire

I just finished Patrick Rothfuss' 2nd book "A Wise Man's Fear" which is the sequel to "The Name of the Wind", and I really like both of those.

#707843 - 08/16/11 02:49 PM Re: All-time faves? [Re: Shira]
FrankJBN Offline
Gecko

"Stranger in a Strange Land now (the original uncut version"

As I understand it, there is no "original, uncut version." The original version is the "cut version" abridged by the author.

IMO, what an author keeps at home and does not release to the public should not be considered the "original" version. It is more of a 'working script'.

Heinlein was dead before the 'new' uncut version was ever released. I'm pretty sure what he wanted his readers to have was the novel he submitted for publication in 1961.

#717984 - 10/04/11 11:16 PM Re: All-time faves? [Re: BellaDeb]
thomas86 Offline

if you're looking for a series: Lord of the rings game of thrones the belgrariad by david eddings (great series that got me into fantasy) One offs: Any Ray Bradbury Cat's Cradle (this counts as sci fi right?) Ender's game (this is actually part of a series but this is the best)

#727995 - 11/29/11 04:53 AM Re: All-time faves? [Re: BellaDeb]
jodiemt Offline
Gecko

I have just read this one book on Sci-fi/fantas by Dean Koontz. It's 'Voice of the Night'. But I really loved it..been meaning to read more.

#796329 - 12/17/12 07:36 AM Re: All-time faves? [Re: BellaDeb]
Pajduska Offline

Loc: IA
The last post here was over a year ago, so I hope someone is reading this! Is anyone here reading the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett? I can't get enough of them! They are funny, intelligent and meaningful. Highly entertaining. I'm also reading Cloud Atlas. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm looking forward to the release of The Host in the spring. The book is by Stephanie Meyer but it could not be any less like Twilight!

#799143 - 01/05/13 12:23 AM Re: All-time faves? [Re: BellaDeb]
elle Offline
Koala

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I quite like Terry Pratchett's Discworld, especially the Tiffany Aching books.

Fave Fantasy series: Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy

Fave Sci Fi: Greg Egan's Schild's Ladder

Edited by elle (01/05/13 12:24 AM)

#806728 - 02/19/13 10:27 AM Re: All-time faves? [Re: BellaDeb]
upupandaway Offline

Ok, I'll give you categories based on reading length: Series: C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. These SciFi books have realistically little action, but the psychology, and the realistic portrayal of alien civilizations meeting and living together is amazing. Trilogy: C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy. This is the one trilogy that I've probably read 10 or more times. It's fantastic. If I had to suggest one thing to read, it'd be this. Plus the original cover art was done by Michael Whelan. How can you say no to that? Single Book: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. My All time favorite Sci-Fi book. Ever. It's not an easy read for everyone, I mean, it's old, so you have to get used to the story telling style. Once you do though, it's a fantastic story.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SF/FBooks Evelyn 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
2 seconds ago
The Colbert Report
by Nancy Roussy
Specialty Channels
4 minutes 55 seconds ago
The Daily Show
by Nancy Roussy
Specialty Channels
6 minutes 48 seconds ago
bernat mosaic girls lace pinafore
by bubblyblonde174
Crochet
8 minutes 47 seconds ago
Are You Living Your Truth
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
38 minutes 1 second ago
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
48 minutes 33 seconds ago
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
57 minutes 59 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 05:01 PM
Heavenly Art
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 04:30 PM
All Things Southwestern USA Forum Word Game!
by Beetlemess
Southwest USA
Today at 03:08 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (bubblyblonde174), 85 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.