Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
jklmno065445, Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion
57317 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57317 Members
417 Forums
113298 Topics
804040 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 719
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 392
Jana - Creativity Editor 286
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 78
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 59
Dorcy 59
Mona - Astronomy 49
Linu 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#608806 - 07/02/10 06:30 PM Recommendations--what's your favorite?
BellaDeb Offline
Zebra

Loc: Memphis, TN
Looking for some book recommendations to put on my list. I read a lot and am looking for some new ideas.

What's your favorite literary fiction book and why is it so fabulous?
Smart Marketing Works

Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Twitter Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Facebook Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to MySpace Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Del.icio.us Digg Recommendations--what's your favorite? Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Yahoo My Web Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Google Bookmarks Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Stumbleupon Add Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Reddit
#613392 - 07/28/10 08:23 PM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: BellaDeb]
Veronika Walker Offline

Well, I'll tell you what I'm reading now that you might enjoy. I've never been much on biographies myself, but I found one this past month that's really stuck out to me so far. Jefrrey Meyer's Orwell: Wintry Conscience of a Generation has been pretty involving so far; I am discovering that I have a lot in common with the 1984 author!

On an entirely different hand, I also started a fantasy book by John Scalzi this morning, called The God Engines; very cool idea, terrific prose. You might want to check those out.

What sort of books do you like to read? Do you have a particular genre you're looking for?

Edited by Lane LitFic (07/30/11 04:40 AM)

Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Twitter Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Facebook Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to MySpace Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Reddit
#616329 - 08/10/10 06:38 PM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: Veronika Walker]
MommaBear22m Offline

My mom actually told me about these books. The first book in the series is of course the best its called Flowers In the Attic bye V.C Andrews, it's sad, but happy in a way and it shows how strong people can really be. the next few books are Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, and Seeds of Yesterday, and Garden of Shadows. You may have read these, but they are good for most people. _________________________________________________________________ MommaBear22m

Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Twitter Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Facebook Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to MySpace Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? to Reddit
#616332 - 08/10/10 06:44 PM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: MommaBear22m]
borageflower Offline
Jellyfish

The Mitford series by Jan Karon. I like to read it because it is calming and gentle. I don't usually read fiction, as I prefer non-fiction, but this series was really nice. Just "NICE" is the only way I can describe it.

#621172 - 08/26/10 09:41 PM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: borageflower]
TerrieR Offline

Loc: Plano, TX
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series! There are seven so far. They are very long (actually, I listen to them on audio during my commute to and from work) but you will love every minute of them and feel like you know the characters personally. Highly recommend.

#621245 - 08/27/10 02:17 AM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: TerrieR]
sara1955 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Lamesa TX
The Outlander Series are my favorite! In fact, I'm re-reading The Outlander now, re-starting smile I've thought about getting them on audio, but haven't yet. Are the accents wonderful in it?

#621252 - 08/27/10 03:25 AM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: sara1955]
Robin - Card Games Editor Offline
Gecko

Loc: Land O Lakes, FL USA
Piers Anthony is my favorite. His Xanth series is wonderful!

I met him a couple of years ago at a book signing - WOW!

I told him about how I had a job that was so awful that it made me start crying the minute I got in my car to go home....I was so happy to leave every day.

One day after work, I went to the mall bookstore and happened upon one of his novels in the Xanth series. I read it and was hooked - what a wonderful fantasy world that I could escape to. It was so easy to get involved with the characters!!

The puns are funny and every once in a while in the back of the book, he will actually "talk" to the readers.

#630896 - 09/21/10 12:49 AM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: Robin - Card Games Editor]
Veronika Walker Offline

Robin-
I love it when narrators talk to the readers while the action is happening. It's a fascinating "breaking of the 4th wall," but really hard to accomplish, I think.

Are there any other authors you all can think of who do use this technique? I'd love to add them to my list!

Edited by Lane LitFic (07/30/11 04:43 AM)

#661361 - 02/08/11 02:04 AM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: Veronika Walker]
karen47 Offline

Loc: Florida
One of my favorite books is The People of the Mist. It is full of adventure and has a happy ending but not before many perils. I really enjoyed this book, it kept me hooked the whole time.

#661367 - 02/08/11 02:57 AM Re: Recommendations--what's your favorite? [Re: karen47]
MollyAttachmentParenting Offline
Amoeba

I agree about the Outlander series, and I, too, used it as an audiobook during my work commute. I also just finished the final book in Karen Moning's Fever series. Probably one of the best series I've ever read. Another all time favorite of mine is The Red Tent.

Enjoy your readings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ije - Literary Fiction 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Final Giggleween post: Army of Darkness!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:20 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Yesterday at 05:40 PM
What Is Space Weather? *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 04:50 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
Yesterday at 04:24 PM
First Letter-Last Letter
by "Rosie"
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 04:08 PM
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 03:51 PM
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
Yesterday at 02:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Yesterday at 12:40 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.