logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Looking for some book recommendations to put on my list. I read a lot and am looking for some new ideas.

What's your favorite literary fiction book and why is it so fabulous?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
V
Well, I'll tell you what I'm reading now that you might enjoy. I've never been much on biographies myself, but I found one this past month that's really stuck out to me so far. Jefrrey Meyer's Orwell: Wintry Conscience of a Generation has been pretty involving so far; I am discovering that I have a lot in common with the 1984 author!

On an entirely different hand, I also started a fantasy book by John Scalzi this morning, called The God Engines; very cool idea, terrific prose. You might want to check those out.

What sort of books do you like to read? Do you have a particular genre you're looking for?

Last edited by Lane LitFic; 07/30/11 12:40 AM.
M
M
My mom actually told me about these books. The first book in the series is of course the best its called Flowers In the Attic bye V.C Andrews, it's sad, but happy in a way and it shows how strong people can really be. the next few books are Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, and Seeds of Yesterday, and Garden of Shadows. You may have read these, but they are good for most people. _________________________________________________________________ MommaBear22m

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
The Mitford series by Jan Karon. I like to read it because it is calming and gentle. I don't usually read fiction, as I prefer non-fiction, but this series was really nice. Just "NICE" is the only way I can describe it.

T
T
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series! There are seven so far. They are very long (actually, I listen to them on audio during my commute to and from work) but you will love every minute of them and feel like you know the characters personally. Highly recommend.

Gecko
Gecko
The Outlander Series are my favorite! In fact, I'm re-reading The Outlander now, re-starting smile I've thought about getting them on audio, but haven't yet. Are the accents wonderful in it?

Gecko
Gecko
Piers Anthony is my favorite. His Xanth series is wonderful!

I met him a couple of years ago at a book signing - WOW!

I told him about how I had a job that was so awful that it made me start crying the minute I got in my car to go home....I was so happy to leave every day.

One day after work, I went to the mall bookstore and happened upon one of his novels in the Xanth series. I read it and was hooked - what a wonderful fantasy world that I could escape to. It was so easy to get involved with the characters!!

The puns are funny and every once in a while in the back of the book, he will actually "talk" to the readers.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
V
V
Robin-
I love it when narrators talk to the readers while the action is happening. It's a fascinating "breaking of the 4th wall," but really hard to accomplish, I think.

Are there any other authors you all can think of who do use this technique? I'd love to add them to my list!

Last edited by Lane LitFic; 07/30/11 12:43 AM.
One of my favorite books is The People of the Mist. It is full of adventure and has a happy ending but not before many perils. I really enjoyed this book, it kept me hooked the whole time.

:P
Amoeba
Amoeba
I agree about the Outlander series, and I, too, used it as an audiobook during my work commute. I also just finished the final book in Karen Moning's Fever series. Probably one of the best series I've ever read. Another all time favorite of mine is The Red Tent.

Enjoy your readings!

Molly Carter
Attachment Parenting
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.