Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Bella Marie, Glady, rani singh, Alycia cullern, BritniDemps
57336 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57337 Members
417 Forums
113325 Topics
804594 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 841
Beetlemess 438
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 362
Jana - Creativity Editor 319
Dorcy 62
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Sandra Investing/HFinance 60
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Mona - Astronomy 44
Dianne W - Editor 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#608605 - 07/02/10 02:56 AM High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Textbooks are very expensive and it can be difficult for students to be able to afford them. New federal law is going into effect this month allowing students to have information about textbooks at the time of registration to help them make informed choices. Is that enough?

There is a Pennsylvania bill, which if made into law, would require professors working at community colleges and state schools to select the least expensive, educationally sound textbooks. Is that a good idea? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Susan-Colleges (07/02/10 01:01 PM)

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Twitter Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Facebook Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to MySpace Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Del.icio.us Digg High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Yahoo My Web Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Google Bookmarks Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Stumbleupon Add High Textbook Prices -- Solutions?  to Reddit
#608614 - 07/02/10 05:13 AM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Susan-Colleges]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
That is pretty limiting for the instructor. I'd rather pay more and have a really good textbook that is good for the class.

Add Re: High textbook prices to Twitter Add Re: High textbook prices to Facebook Add Re: High textbook prices to MySpace Add Re: High textbook prices to Del.icio.us Digg Re: High textbook prices Add Re: High textbook prices to Yahoo My Web Add Re: High textbook prices to Google Bookmarks Add Re: High textbook prices to Stumbleupon Add Re: High textbook prices to Reddit
#608653 - 07/02/10 11:19 AM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Jilly]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Thank you Jilly. The PA bill does seem very limiting, not only in quality but in content. Information often differs somewhat from textbook to textbook. To me it seems that worrisome that we would all have the same information, written from the same point of view. And if anyone had an agenda, they could disseminate their propaganda simply by having the lowest priced texts. Other opinions would be shut out.

What do the rest of you think? How important is the cost of textbooks? Are these laws a good idea? Are their other solutions?

Add Re: High textbook prices to Twitter Add Re: High textbook prices to Facebook Add Re: High textbook prices to MySpace Add Re: High textbook prices to Del.icio.us Digg Re: High textbook prices Add Re: High textbook prices to Yahoo My Web Add Re: High textbook prices to Google Bookmarks Add Re: High textbook prices to Stumbleupon Add Re: High textbook prices to Reddit
#608670 - 07/02/10 12:30 PM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Susan-Colleges]
sara1955 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Lamesa TX
I think control is the real issue. Yes, cost is important to me as a long-distance student, but .... I'm there to learn, not follow a robotic drill. Limiting instructors in text book choices will limit their ability to teach the most effective way possible. Education is the key, not economics.

#608679 - 07/02/10 01:04 PM Re: High textbook prices [Re: sara1955]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Great, thanks Sara. That is a good point about limiting their ability to teach.

What does everyone else think? Do you agree or disagree? Are textbooks too expensive? If so, are there other solutions? Will the new federal law solve the problem?

#608814 - 07/02/10 06:57 PM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Susan-Colleges]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I *definitely* think students should know up front what textbooks they're going to be required to have for a course. At Northeastern the courses I've registered for have always had a full syllabus available to students as they look through the course list. You know up front that information as well as what the testing schedule is, how many papers you write, etc. I thought this was fairly standard but apparently it's not!

I am with Jill that I think professors should choose the best material they can. I am taking these courses to learn. I want to learn as much as I can with each course. You're already making a substantial investment of money to take a college course. I would rather have that investment be "really really worth it" vs saving a few pennies and having what is still a huge investment be "learning utter nonsense".

I.e. to me it's like having this choice. You can pay $30 and have the ultimate dinner of a lifetime that you talk about for years and years and remember fondly, or you can pay $25 and have food so awful that you can barely eat it. Sure you saved $5 - but you already were paying a lot of money for your meal and it makes more sense at that point for it to be worth it.

#608980 - 07/03/10 10:38 AM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Thank you. That is great that you had all that information during where you went to school. I've never had that any place where I went to school (nor any colleges I worked for). I think the new federal law going into effect this month will really help students be able to comparison shop and find the best prices (and still have their books in time for class). The PA bill seems to be going to far. Does anyone disagree?

#610259 - 07/11/10 12:42 AM Re: High textbook prices [Re: Susan-Colleges]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Have any of you tried renting textbooks? If so, what did you think of it? How much did you have to pay? Was it done through the college or an outside company?

#613273 - 07/28/10 03:19 PM Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? [Re: sourav]
sara1955 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Lamesa TX
I haven't tried to rent textbooks, but I do look for good used ones, and so far we've had lots of luck finding them at a fairly reasonable price. My roommate and I are both attending colleges, and between us we save $500 - $1000 a year, if not more.

Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Twitter Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Facebook Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to MySpace Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Stumbleupon Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Reddit
#613288 - 07/28/10 03:45 PM Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? [Re: sara1955]
Susan-Colleges Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Wow, Sara that's a lot of savings. Do you find the used ones online or in the bookstore?

Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Twitter Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Facebook Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to MySpace Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Stumbleupon Add Re: High Textbook Prices -- Solutions? to Reddit
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 09:51 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Creativity
Today at 09:12 PM
ADD and Halloween Plans
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 08:52 PM
Uber App Review
by Tiffiny - Family Travel
Family Travel
Today at 05:19 PM
Birth control without the uncomfy "check-up"
by fit4fashion
Gynecology
Today at 04:13 PM
Music ABC game
by "Rosie"
Pop Music
Today at 04:10 PM
Star-gazing – Seeing in Dim Light *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:11 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:59 PM
Foods That Fuel Your Body
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
Today at 11:51 AM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Home Finance
Today at 10:23 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.