Next Thread
Print Thread
#608033 06/30/10 04:46 AM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
In today's culture various areas of our academic world are treated differently out in the "real" world.

How would you say history is treated today in our society?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Many people are relatively unconcerned with history. They are just concerned with the here and now. They are mostly self absorbed in the current moment of their lives.

Craig58 #608264 06/30/10 07:50 PM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
That is sadly true.

But what about in politics? How do our current politicians use history even when it seems they are absorbed in the moment?

Gecko
Gecko
Our politicians use history to give credence to their decisions, or conversely, to give reasons to not do what _____ did.

Many "regular folks" think history is something of the past, or just something that might have interesting things here and there. I educate almost everyone I talk to about something historical. WWII is my favorite period in history, so I'm always coming up with lesser known factoids to throw out there. I know some just roll their eyes (but not where I'd see it) and some get interested enough to find out more. Any little spark of interest is good.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Sara, good point.

I was reading in a book that is required for my husbands historians class and it was very interesting what it had to say about the justification politicians used on their actions by throwing history around. Unfortunately, none of them understand that they are all usually using the events incorrectly.

Why are they called on it?

Parakeet
Parakeet
Many people, politicians, economists, journalists and others recently referred back to history for guidance and perspective on the economic crisis. They all began referring back to the era of the Great Depression. Politicians looked to the FDR era for guides on how to respond to the economic crisis. People examined the Great Depression to see how policies enacted by FDR affected the problems of this era. In politics, journalism and public policy making the Great Depression and the response to it was an example of when history was used as a means of affecting the problems of the present.

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.