logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600043 05/12/10 01:05 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko

Choosing eggs is not nearly as simple as it should be. After all, the average egg weighs about 2 ounces. How many decisions can you possibly have to make for something so small and seemingly simple? Well, let�s see: Brown or white? Large or small? Organic or not?

And those decisions are just the tip of the iceberg. Egg cartons can be stamped with any number of labels, some meaningful, others not so much.

It's not always easy to separate fact from fiction when it comes to eggs. Below are some of the most common misperceptions.

Myth: Brown eggs are different than white.

Fact: The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell, which is merely a reflection of the breed of the hen. In general, but not always, hens with white feathers and earlobes lay white eggs and those with dark feathers and red earlobes lay brown eggs.

One isn�t healthier, more �natural,� or more eco-friendly than the other. There aren�t any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

Proud Pagan
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
My chickens layed brown eggs and they were the most nutritious, healthy-looking eggs I've ever seen. I fed them a fantastic diet of fresh greens and fruits, fresh protein like grubs and worms plus their vitamin-fortified feed. And they were free-range with plenty of room in their large house which I cleaned weekly with fresh sawdust. It was like a castle compared to most hen houses! They had a pool and a large yard where they pecked for bugs.

They rewarded me with companionship (they'd sit on my lap) and beautiful eggs.

I can't help but believe that their eggs were healthier than those of the caged hen variety.

Shark
Shark
I find that the yolks of brown eggs are generally a darker yellow and richer in taste than the yolk of white eggs. Both white and brown (sometimes even green) eggs are supplied to me by a local person who raises chickens.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Regardless of the color everyone should know that most eggs come from chickens held in battery cages - these cages hold multiple numbers of chickens - the animals cannot stand up, turn around or move at all. They often attack each other so their beaks are burned off when they are very young. They are also stacked in multiple layers - so many chickens crammed together makes it a haven for disease so they are fed antibiotics as a matter of course. Their feed consists of sterilized garbage and bits of other chickens - gross!!!

Want to make sure your eggs come from places that do not raise chickens in this manner then find a local person that raises chickens and make sure you see where they are kept - they should be running around on grass eating a good layer mash, bugs, and weeds. If your locale is such that this is impossible ask your grocery store to obtain free-range eggs and then check and make sure the company that makes this claim actually does allow the chickens a natural life. Cage-free eggs simply means that they are not in a cage - a bit better but the conditions are still crowded - they are still fed garbage and antibiotics and have nothing resembling a normal life.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I used to raise chickens and I agree, Susan, there is a huge difference in chickens that are allowed to roam free. My eggs had huge yellow yolks and tasted delicious!

I fed them some grain but mostly fruit and veggie trimmings, grass clippings (no pesticides or chemicals on any of my plants), even hot oatmeal in the winter. Yes, they were spoiled.

Joan541 #608274 06/30/10 08:15 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I only buy eggs that are from local, organic sources. smile

Moderated by  Moss - Nutrition Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.