logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I finally decided to enroll online, got my financial aid, etc. I've attended community colleges in the past, and they're getting those transcripts in. My goal is a BA in History/minor Ed. Here are my thoughts so far:

I've officially finished my 2nd week of classes. The classes all come in 5-week increments. I'm a little bothered that all my transcripts aren't in yet, nor are those that are in credited. ugh. I'm on them though. I don't like seeing that I have 120 hours to get my degree .... I'm looking foward to seeing 90 or less LOL.

The class I'm taking now is Psych. For the record, I hate soft sciences. I'm not a mushy cushy person. I'm usually quite matter of fact .... or sarcastic LOL. I do spread the love, but I'm more into hard dry facts (thus, my preference for history!). So .... I have a feeling this is a tough one for me.

I told the folks that are scheduling my classes to 1) schedule classes that aren't what I consider fun (history, english, literature, religion) and to 2) schedule those classes that come with e-texts first (this class has one). I'm such a touchy feely person, that e-texts don't give me a good feeling. I like to touch the book, turn the pages back and forth, make notes in the margins, highlight, etc. The e-text does let you highlight .... usually (ugh). It also lets you make notes, but not with arrows, stars, etc. and not in the margin where my notes connect immediately to the text. I find this a learning hindrance. I'm also finding that e-texts and my way of learning aren't always in tune with each other ... I have to use all my senses (yes ,I do have senses .... I got some at Target LOL).

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Sara -

I agree, if you are any type of physical learner, e-texts can make your life harder.

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
When you are using e-texts it may help, in your case, to get a notebook that you use to take notes from your text in. Use just one notebook for that text and take notes that correspond to each chapter. You can go back to the notebook to highlight, make extra notes in the margins, etc. It's just a thought, but it may help.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Oh, I take copious notes. The only other option is to print the e-text, not an ideal situation. I will be taking all the e-text classes first, if possible, then the ones where I get a physical real-life book last. Historians have to hold things you know LOL

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Sara - I'm curious why you're tormenting yourself by taking all the "classes you will hate" first! Why not do a mix so each session you get some classes you like and some you dislike. Or are you taking only one class at a time?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Sara, i am totally with you on the 'book to hold'. I usually end up printing out e-text and binding them. It still ends up cheaper then buying a new textbook (although I love the weight and smell and touch of a textbook). But then i at least have something I can mark up and make my own personal learning tool.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's an awesome idea Jilly! And if you spill coffee on a page, you can always make a new one! smile

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I've considered printing the books, but haven't (yet). I'm trying to adapt ... and get the e-book courses out of the way first.

I'm taking just one course at a time. The courses are 5 weeks long, so they're not so long that I'd go crazy. Basically, in the past I've taken the courses I like (the exception is I took the Biology classes at a traditional community college, along with a ton of other courses). So, to reward myself for taking the "yucky" courses now (there are just 2-4 of them), I get the take what I love the rest of the way through.

I've found I do better taking what I hate first, then take what I like. Otherwise, I'll put off the yucky ones then hate the end of my education.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Ah ok that's great that there are so few courses that you don't like! How many total will you be taking?

So far I've enjoyed all 4 courses I took (I took them concurrently) and I'll like both of my summer courses. So I guess we'll see when I hit a course I'm less fond of. My degree program is laid out with a map, because many courses have to be taken first before you can take the subsequent courses, so right now I don't have a lot of flexibility about ordering things. I.e. I can't take English 1005 before I take English 1004.

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I'm not sure how many yet. One of my transcripts hasn't arrived so they haven't credited any yet (YIKES). I have all my upper level history courses to do, I think that's about 6-8 courses and a couple of lower level (lit and a computer course that I'm thinking about CLEPing). Then my degree plan has 38 hours in elective, that includes minor courses. But, they might take some of my non-degree related courses and stick in there to use some hours up. I'm required 120 hours, and I have at least 33 (in core courses) plus I can't remember how many, at least 12-15 more that might be accepted as elective courses. They expect me to be classified as a sophomore, but with several soph. hours out of the way.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
In my map it's usually 3 out of 4 classes in a given session that are "set in stone" - and the fourth is an elective. They do that for the first two years to make sure you get the important things done in order. There are a lot of "take 1 before you take 2 before you take 3 before you take 4" kinds of progressions and if you don't get that straightened out early you can get yourself into a jam. They set things up so that you get through all the requirements early - I imagine that way if you screw something up you then have time to retake it as you go. Then all the electives get filled in at the end.

I have about 3 years of courses to take - I have about a year complete coming into the program. So I think technically I'm a sophomore, but they don't really work like that in "years". I imagine you could take 8 courses at a time, for example, and be done in 1.5 years smile

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I going to take my final quiz in this class today (Adult Development). I should have taken it yesterday and just goofed off. Today should be interesting because I'm trying to get a migraine LOL. I have to tweak a paper to turn in by next Monday, should be a piece of cake, so I anticipate no issues with it.

Next week is the oficial last week of class, the oficial last day is 7/19.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I hope your final quiz went well!

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
So far, I'm maintaining an A smile I have to still be graded on my final paper and final discussion questions. I think I'll do well there also.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's wonderful news - congratulations!!

Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Congratulations Sara! You are doing great - and in a subject that you dislike! You will feel really good about getting it out of the way. smile

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I'm still at an A, still waiting on the final paper. Cross your fingers and toes LOL. They said by Monday we should have our final grades.

I am SOOOO glad this class is over smile

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
They have the grades out unofficially. I have an A. They'll post the official ones on Monday (if I understand correctly). YAYYYY .... I'm doing the happy dance smile

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Yea!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.