Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I've been trying to work out how to place the ribbons on my husband's shirt. Our friends only had 1 to fit him and it's made with a patterned cloth. I love the pattern, but it's been problematic trying to add the ribbon around it. I looked for samples, hoping for a little inspiration, and stumbled on a few articles about the evolution of ribbon shirts.

It was basically an assimilation thing. I guess the sensibilities of the European settlers were shook a bit by traditional Native attire, or lack thereof. With trade came European style clothing and I certainly inherited the "Decorate It" gene from my Mother's People. A shirt with no collar is considered the Traditional style, a stand up collar is attributed to the Cherokee and the full collar to the western Tribes. Ribbon work dates back to the early 1600's, beginning on the East Coast with European contact and then progressing north and west.

After the Revolution, the French government decreed all clothing to be simple. That must have left all the French ribbon makers with a ton of inventory, they shipped to the New World. And Voila, a new artform spreads across America.

Well, it's makes sense and also makes for one weird connection. My husband is German/Portugese, but as a veteran, his participation is required in some things at Pow-wow. He needs to be dressed appropriately, so I guess he is being assimilated, reversely.

The website Powwows.com has some awesome examples of ribbon work and instructions.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Unless you are trying to be absolutely accurate, ribbons shirts, like regalia, are pretty much decorate as you like. At the pow wow Sunday, there were ribbon shirts that had giant chevrons of ribbons on the front like a chest plate, all the way to a few fluttering pieces at the yoke of the shirt.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
3 years ago I had a ribbon shirt made that incorporated symbols of my uniformed years. I found an NA seamstress that would take on my challenge and she did more than I expected (& for a lot less than originally quoted). She took it as more of an honor to a veteran than an artistic enterprise. I haven't had the shirt out for a couple months & trying to remember the exact details. Can send pictures after accessing a different computer.

Having served in both the Marines & Navy, it was only fitting to use the service colors: Scarlet/Gold & Blue/Gold, respectively. Thus, the ribbon work is center of wide (3/4 - 1", I believe) gold bordered by 1/2" each scarlet & blue. The verticals on the back & chest have the gold cut to yield upward pointing red arrowheads. (This also goes well with my involvelment with the Boy Scouts' Order of the Arrow)

Now the kicker - the material is light nylon in a Vietnam era 4-color camouflage. A 'stand-up' collar of the choker-style Dress Whites or Marine Dress Blues.

I have got to locate a couple more 16/0 seed bead colors to do a lane stitch pattern of my military ribbons to wear on the left breast of the shirt. Also intend to applique a set of Naval Aviator Wings to wear above the beaded ribbons.

Have had many positive comments at Pow Wows & other NA venues where I've worn the shirt. Run into some that ask when I plan to get the beadwork completed. My reply, 'After I locate Kelly & Pine/Forest Green size 16s.'

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Very interesting topic, lcp. Sounds like you have yet another great project ahead of you. I would love to see the results of your shirt.

I would also love to see a pic of your ribbon shirt, Beetle.

When researching for more info, I came across this interesting site with many different versions/thoughts on the origin of the ribbon shirt. It is fun to read everyone's entries at this site: Canku Ota - On Ribbon Shirts

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Beetlemess, your shirt must be awesome. Would love to see a picture. I have no experience with ribbon work. Thankfully my husband likes things simple. I'll post a photo when it's completed, as soon as I find the instructions Phyllis so graciously provided.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I'll backtrack after re-reading my post; shirt is actually more of a polyester blend.

Having picture posting instructions would be helpful on this end also. Had a few problems last night.

-B-
Thanks for the picture posting directions, Wendy.

Did attempt to see if pictures of the shirt was still held online at abnother site. Nope.

But did come across this collared shirt that is done up very simple with the colors layered to match the campaign ribbon. www.redlodgeemporium.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HKVETS

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the link! It's a website I hadn't found yet. Now I'm wishing we had a solid fabric shirt so I could do the ribbonwork in Navy colors. However, the colors in the shirt we have are my favorites, browns and greens. I'll just have to work with what I have.

Would it be inappropriate for him to wear his silver dolphin pin on the shirt? Most of the other vets without ribbon shirts wear denim vests and caps with their military patches and pins. I've seen Navy chief crows on men's aprons. Just want to make sure his wearing the dolphin pin on the ribbon shirt is OK.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
The wearing of veteran acruements can only be summed up by, 'What's the buzz around the circle?'

I've seen Gourd Dancers with the mini-medals on their blanket/shoulder drapes. I've followed a Navy Captain with his rank Eagles & Surface Warfare pin on his rear apron. I'd love to put my WINGS on my chest again - either the pin or the one I plan to bead. Even designing the shirt to have chevrons or service hash marks seem as though they would be welcomed. These are the coup feathers of today's freedom preservers.

I was very apprehensive in donning the cami-ribbon shirt, thinking that it would stray from the more traditional calico/solid shirts of the Mid-Atlantic circles. I was WRONG! I've been asked where I got it; can I get a picture to make a similar copy; would you be offended if I made one like yours... Flattered along with knowing that I got a veteran-discount in the price I paid. (Just learned that the responsible seamstress is no longer doing ribbon shirts.)

Earlier in the life of the cami-shirt, I asked other veterans/members of the circle if there was any dissention should I bead the ribbons, instead of wearing them or mini-medals. They keep asking when I am going to have it done. Still looking for the two shades of green 16/0 seeds. Just this morning at the uniform shop, I picked up the ribbon attachments that I will need when I do the lane-stitched beaded ribbon rack. Each ribbon comes out to be a 13 x 29 beaded rectangle and I'd be willing to share the pattern for the dozen I received. I decided to use 16/0s but they can be done with 11/0s or 12/0s.

-B-
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
So I guess it just depends where you are and who you are with. The good thing about wearing a pin, if it's not appropriate, you can simply remove it. My husband has been welcomed with open arms and hearts into the vet group at St. George. I'm sure they will let him know before he enters the Circle, if something isn't quite right with his attire.

All this reminds me of a situation I had with my Mother, who is retired Army. Before she retired, we were at a Pow-wow in SC and she didn't wear her shawl for the Veterans Dance. "I'm in the Army, I don't need a shawl." After much discussion, I ended up walking over to ask John Blackfeather, the MC, to set us straight. He smiled and asked, "How old is your Mother?" I told him and his reply, "I'm her Elder and she wears a shawl."

I must admit, I laughed all the way back.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.