Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
nigarnigar, davmartin, vebuskeder, Ladybugz, LLTC
57299 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57299 Members
417 Forums
113263 Topics
803551 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 572
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 368
Beetlemess 299
Jana - Creativity Editor 235
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 83
Nancy Roussy 59
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 54
Dorcie's 53
Sandra Investing/HFinance 51
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#605789 - 06/19/10 03:25 AM Meat in the Compost
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

We've heard different things about putting meat items into our home compost pile. It will disintegrate, but it will attract wild animals which is bad.

What do you do with your meat scraps?

Add Meat in the Compost to Twitter Add Meat in the Compost to Facebook Add Meat in the Compost to MySpace Add Meat in the Compost to Del.icio.us Digg Meat in the Compost Add Meat in the Compost to Yahoo My Web Add Meat in the Compost to Google Bookmarks Add Meat in the Compost to Stumbleupon Add Meat in the Compost to Reddit
#605791 - 06/19/10 03:53 AM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Meat and dairy are the things that should not go in the compost - they make it smell putrid and attract animals.

I give meat and bones to neighborhood dogs, unless they are chicken bones.

My plan is to have a spot in the yard here for chicken bones where i can dry them and and grind them up - turn them into soil amendment. Maybe I can toss them onto my roof to dry.

Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Twitter Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Facebook Add Re: Meat in the Compost to MySpace Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Meat in the Compost Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Stumbleupon Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Reddit
#605818 - 06/19/10 09:46 AM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Jilly]
flower70 Offline
Koala

I agree there, they stink terribly when throw on the compost, i unfortunatly don�t have a lot of neighbours with dogs. I throw them in the normal trash,don�t know what else to do with the rest leftovers.

Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Twitter Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Facebook Add Re: Meat in the Compost to MySpace Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Meat in the Compost Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Stumbleupon Add Re: Meat in the Compost to Reddit
#605884 - 06/19/10 09:45 PM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: flower70]
BellaOnline Editor

Our compost bin is way in the back so I'm not too worried about smell, and it seems a shame to just throw it in the trash. I don't want to create a bear lure though. I'll ponder this one.

#605922 - 06/20/10 04:13 AM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Julie - Computer Careers Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
You can put meat and dairy in a worm bin.

I reviewed a book a few months ago, 62 Things To Make With A Dead Computer that teaches you how to make a worm bin from an old scanner. I'm planning to make one next time I see a scanner at a garage sale.

Also, Multnomah County vector control says improperly covered compost and inappropriate items in compost are a major contributor to the rat problem.

Julie

Edited by Julie - Computer Careers (06/20/10 04:14 AM)

#605977 - 06/20/10 06:13 PM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Julie - Computer Careers]
flower70 Offline
Koala

That sounds like a good idea, with the scanner. I don�t really like throwing meats and dairy products in the normal trash.But i don�t know what else to do with them. And we need to be careful not to lure animals to our homes thats not good either. Where i live we don�t have a lot of room for a compost.

#606282 - 06/22/10 04:56 AM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: flower70]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

That is an interesting idea about turning a scanner into a worm bin. I'd like to know more about that.

If you scroll down in this article, there is extensive info about experiments with tossing meat in the compost. composting meat

This one talks about using a special digesting composter.

lastly, there are some excellent answers here.

I assume this is kind of like my pet waste issue - if you have the right container, you can compost everything.

Edited by Jilly (06/22/10 05:03 AM)

#606299 - 06/22/10 07:04 AM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Jilly]
flower70 Offline
Koala

Thanks Jilly, these are some good compost tips. i�m going to our hardwear store today, to see if i can find such a convenient container composter.Super. Then i will try these drying tips, ect..

#608202 - 06/30/10 09:33 PM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: flower70]
BellaOnline Editor

Worm bin! I like that idea thanks so much! I'll look into doing that smile

I'm so pleased that our composting idea is working so well so far, now we are going to buy one of those roller composters to improve our speed!

#608221 - 06/30/10 10:24 PM Re: Meat in the Compost [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I had to throw away some meats that went bad in my fridge (we had a day where the fridge did not work and it's over 100 degrees here). I hated doing that. I am not set up yet, having just moved here, with a worm bin or special digester.

At least the eggs I can cook and give to my pets. Or is that unsafe for them? Do i need to toss the egg insides and compost the shells?

I have ten eggs I need to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jilly 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Wristwatches - what do you wear?
by nigarnigar
Beauty Basics
33 minutes 2 seconds ago
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 04:50 AM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by "Rosie"
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:27 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:15 AM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by "Rosie"
Home Finance
Today at 04:11 AM
Music ABC game
by "Rosie"
Pop Music
Today at 04:09 AM
First Letter-Last Letter
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Creativity
Yesterday at 10:28 PM
I went NUTS last week!
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Home Cooking
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Weekly Monday Weigh-In
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
Yesterday at 07:00 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.