logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala

Please gives us all a hand and tell us how you trim your pet's nails. It can be about any pet exotic pet or otherwise.

Newest Exotic Pets BellaOnline article
Imagine how bad an ingrown nail hurts. Imagine an overgrown claw that curls and grows into an animal�s foot pad. All pets need foot care. This article covers how to trim an animal�s nails, preventing infection, restraint, quality nail clippers, control bleeding, how to avoid bleeding and much more.

Your exotic pet may be a bit more difficult. All suggestions welcome!

Trimming nails

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
when trimming the ferrets claws, i put some 'ferretone' on their belly and, while they are busy licking it up, i clip away.

ferretone is a vitamin supplement that ferrets go NUTS for!

i have a specific towel-lined box i use to do the clipping - when they see it, they climb in and get into 'clip position' (they lay on their back with belly exposed for the 'tone).

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
When I trim my cats' claws, I just use the nail clippers. They don't fight me at all, so I just hold them in my lap, hold on to one paw at a time, and clip each claw.

My dog does not like having her nails trimmed at all. We used to take her to the vet and he would have to super sedate her, then he would trim her nails. We didn't like the effects the sedation was having on her, so we decided not to do that anymore. Now her nails are kept worn down by her exercising on the road just outside our house. I walk, or run, her on it most every day. This keeps her nails wore down enough to where we don't have to try and clip them.

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Joclyn,

I have used the ferretone method and it works great! The box is a wonderful idea. I will have to try it. Once the ferrets got use to their nails being trimmed I stopped using the ferretone and started to give it to them when I put them back in their cage at night. Each ferret has their own dish with a few drops of ferretone. After a while, they all know which dish is theirs. I have their names on the dishes. When people come over they really wonder how my ferrets can read the names on the dishes. Simple repetition. Thank you for sharing. It would be fun and useful to compile all these ideas into a useful guide.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The natural method is usually the best method. After all we weren't created with nail clippers equipped. I am sure a lot of people don't think about that though. I am amazed your cats take it so well. I have cats, all rescues. One doesn't even like to be brushed and she is a long haired Ragdoll that sleeps with me. I am afraid I have to force the issue otherwise I cough up fur balls all night lol.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I take my cats to a groomer. For $5.00 she has the job done in 2 minutes. Easier for me, less stress for my furballs.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.