logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#569966 12/10/09 12:55 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Recently, I started writing articles on Yoga stretching. I began with instructions for head stretches and am continuing down the body and will end with the feet.

This will give all of you interested in Yoga a full set of stretching instructions that you can use to target tension in one area or use as a whole body stretching sequence.

My recommendation is that the full set of stretches be done once per week, or more, as needed.

When to use the full set of stretches twice per week or more:

There is additional stress in your life
You're not feeling well enough for your usual aerobic activity but still want to move your body
You're preparing for an athletic event such as a marathon or team sport competition
You're at the point of getting back into shape after having a baby or are recovered from an illness/surgical procedure
You've changed your diet to lose weight and feel tempted to eat fattening foods

Click on the link to the Yoga site if you'd like to read the articles.

I hope all of you are enjoying a lovely Holiday. With preference to none, I like to call it the "Season Of Peace".

Stay healthy,

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor

Last edited by YogaEditor; 12/10/09 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
My DH has about 40 pounds to lose and yet, he would like to do yoga to improve flexibility and balance. The thing is that with the extra weight around his middle, he is off center!

Do you recommend any specific stretches or positions for people with less than lean bodies?

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Hello Chidori,

Your husband can attempt any yoga pose or stretch, reaching as far as he is comfortable going. If he has a few pounds to lose, he may find that it takes him a little longer than most to feel very comfortable with Yoga, however, tell him not to be discouraged! I have seen and spoken to some who have had 50+ lbs to lose and they were pleasantly surprised at how flexible they could become in a relatively short time.

If your husband is especially concerned with his midsection, I am continuing with my series on stretching and by January I'll have a complete list of body stretches that he can use.

Since I've just finished the article about arm stretches, I will be writing about back/hip/abdominal stretches later this week and beginning next. I'll post a link for them here in the forum.

As your husband progresses, Yoga stretches will become more and more valuable to him as his body is capable of greater reaching and a wider range of motion. This is especially beneficial is he decides to weight or strength train.

I hope this was helpful.

Stay healthy,

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor

Last edited by YogaEditor; 12/15/09 05:02 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Yes, this was VERY helpful! Thank you!

We'll be on the look-out for January's articles.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Chi

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Just as an update: my husband lost over 20 pounds and he LOVES yoga! He makes it part of his morning routine.

The poses and stretches felt so good that it inspired him to get back on his bike to lose weight to make yoga easier. smile

We love doing yoga together now. But I have a question about which type of yoga is best for us.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I stand corrected: he told me this morning that his weight loss is 29 pounds. He looks great.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
That's wonderful!! I am so glad to hear it!!

What's your question about Yoga? What are you looking to accomplish - such as increasing your reach, or targeting specific areas, or focusing on female issues or congestion, etc? I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thank you for letting me know how well your husband (and you!) are doing!

Nanct

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Well, I personally enjoy the spiritual component of yoga. So I would like to study and practice that particular branch.

As for poses, I would like something to target my mid-section. My limbs are thin but I have a diabetic body with fat around my middle. I hear that this is the worst place to carry weigh as the visceral fat is entwined in the internal organs. When I run, my legs get skinnier but not my tummy.

Thanks!

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Hi Chidori,

I would suggest that you try the Yoga Body Locks (also called Bandhas). I wrote an article about them that gives you instructions:

Yoga Body Locks

Additionally, focusing on the Sacral Chakra which affects the pancreas, could be very helpful. Asanas that you can try that connect you with that energy, are:

Pavan-Muktasan
Bhujangasan
Dhanurasana

I hope you find this helpful!

Nancy

Last edited by YogaEditor; 06/10/10 01:16 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.