Print Thread
#600052 05/12/10 02:02 PM
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Hi everyone

Today's economy has make it very difficult for people to get a job due to the high unemployment rate and the lack of jobs which in turn has created great competition for the jobs that are available.

Older job seekers are especially hit hard in these times. If you are an older job seeker with an interview coming up read my latest article to help prepare you for it...

Four Tiers To Overcome Job Interview Ageism

Was this article helpful?

Gwendolyn Thompson, Job Search Editor
Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I know of several mid-life job seekers who can't find a job. My husband was one. His only solution was to start his own business which thankfully is doing very well. He was overqualified" and his salary history was beyond their budgets.

My sister's friend is in his late 50s and was let go from his engineering position he'd had for decades. They hired a younger guy to replace him at a lower salary, of course. He still can't get hired despite his experience.

G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Welcome Gecko

I feel for all baby boomer age unemployed as it has hit many of my family members as well. I strive every day to research and try to come up with better ways to give them updated information that may be helpful to them.

It is very happy news that your husband was able to start his own successful business. Many were not in the line of work that would enable them to do that at this stage in their life.

I pray every day that the government will reach out and help the long term unemployed and make funding easily available to the older population to start businesses of their own to create jobs for the younger unemployed.

After all that is how this country started was with small business and then it grew. It is time for new growth to begin again.

Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

J
Koala
Koala
J
About 2 years ago I decided to try and get a job outside the work at home stuff I'd been doing. Couldn't even get an interview (I was 57 then) I prefer to work at home one the computer because nobody knows how old I am, unless I tell them.

I can get freelance writing jobs tho and it's a more level playing field because my references are work samples I've done.

G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Welcome Joan

Excellent!

But in a situation like Gecko's friend who's husband has spent his life at the same engineering job only to lose the job before he was ready to retire, networking is probably not his pass time. But with a little one on one coaching it could become his pass time and his income.

Many baby boomers have little interest in learning what networking is all about. Take my family and friends for instance, they prefer to call me for coaching and have me do the research for them. Little by little I am coaching them to network on their own without them knowing it. Some of them have even purchased a computer and the internet.

You have to teach them without insulting them.

LOL

Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Gwen - Job Search editor
...If you are an older job seeker with an interview coming up read my latest article to help prepare you for it...
Four Tiers To Overcome Job Interview Ageism

Was this article helpful?

Hi Gwen, yes - a really helpful article especially as it covers some common misconceptions. (JOY)

G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Welcome to the forum Joy

I really think it is important for the older job seeker to understand and become aware of tactics that employers are using in today's job interviews.

The employer absolutely has the advantage in the market today to pick and choose as they wish due to the high volume of applicants.

The older job seeker has to prove to the employer that they are the best fit for the job and why so they need to know what to expect and how to answer.

Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.