logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600704 05/15/10 10:55 PM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
We just got the assignment for my spring term class returned and our professor was disgusted by the amount of plagiarism. I'm absolutely shocked! Particularly since I really think it would almost be easier to actually do the assignment than plagiarize it - we were supposed to turn in 3 informal personal reactions to topics in the course of about 1 paragraph in length. It wasn't intended to be a particularly rigorous assignment, but more to get us in the professional habit of sitting down at the end of the week and writing a short journal type entry about what we'd done or learned that week - something the professor finds personally useful in his professional career.

It's really sad to think that some of my classmates would find it easier to find other people's reactions to stuff we are reading about than to come up with their own. (Not to mention that they would find it acceptable!)

My professor is hugely dispirited by this, and frankly so am I!

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
When I went to school online we had a plagiarism checker to send out work through, so did the instructors. Plagiarism was punishable by expulsion, rightly deserved.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
At my school, only the instructor has access to the plagiarism checker, but we have the same type of checker. People who are caught plagiarizing get an F in the course as a first step and then there are further steps. In many cases an F is equivalent to expulsion anyway. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the process because I wouldn't plagiarize.

Julie

E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
This is interesting to me since I didn't know there was anything like a plagiarism checker. I always wondered how the instructors could keep up with all the information coming in on papers to know if it was plagiarized or not. I am glad that there is something available to make their work a little easier. I guess it is good too if the students can use it before submitting their work but it seems that they should have been taught how to make sure they aren't plagiarizing while they were still in secondary school. Maybe some of them just don't understand the concept?!!!

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
It really is baffling to me too that people would plagiarize like that. They are the ones paying for their education, don't they want to learn?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #602392 05/28/10 12:42 AM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I don't get that either. No one is making them take these courses, right? I would want to get out of a class everything possible, to the last nugget of info.

Jilly #602573 05/29/10 06:59 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Just to present the other point of view, a student in one of my classes got a promotion and was instructed that he needed to get a degree in order to maintain the promotion. I.e. he was promoted into a job that required a degree and was let in anyway even though he didn't have one. So for him, I imagine all he cares about is getting that piece of paper.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #602589 05/29/10 09:32 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
well, that is fine then. it's all about motivation. At least his are clear. :-)

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.