Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#600968 05/18/10 10:17 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Do you have a brick wall? Tell us about it so we might can help break it down. You can post about it here, or link to a website that describes your problem.

If you have a problem, more than likely someone else has too and can answer your questions. Maybe you can help someone else...

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
My brick wall is locating anyone in a foreign country! I have traced (or my sister has!) relatives to Dublin and County Tyrone in Ireland, and in England and in Alsace-Lorraine, but I have no idea what to do next. Any helpers?
Cosie3

Mary Ellen Werner
Risingsun, Ohio
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Cosie, great question.

Rootsweb has many research lists for these areas of the world. Sometimes subscribing to the lists provides networking opportunities. People who are researching in these areas have a wealth of experience with successes and pitfalls.

Have you read genealogical books or magazines about how to do research in these localities? Often these publications will give you the names and addresses of the libraries and other record repositories where you can write.

There are online resources also.

I had joined an Italian list (still belong to PIE in fact) and with the suggestions I received from knowledgeable folks, I found family in Italy and had an opportunity to meet them.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

S
S
I have a brick wall with a Native American ancestor since their histories were more oral than written

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
I have a huge brick wall that I've no idea how to get around. No one in the family knows what the original surname was. We know stories abaout our family, port of exit and entry, and I know my grandmother's original 1st name.

The only document that had their name on it was taken by a cousin who swears he never laid hands on it (he boasted about the man who translated it having bowed to him when he read it so we know he has it).

Is it going to be impossible?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Have a look on the BBC Radio 4 site. There was a genealoy program on yesterday about how to trace "vanished" Ancestors.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Thanks Ian. I'll check it out.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The program is called "Tracing your Roots" and you should be able to get it on BBC Iplayer.

This is the direct link:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oops! still learning to use the forums I think I left you enough information to find it alright. If you go to the BBC website and put "genealogy" into the search box you also get a lot of programs from both national British and local radio to listen to that may also be of help

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Lyn, what are the dates you have, which ports, and what was your grandmother's name?

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Angie,

Her real first name was Katarzyna...don't know last name. When they came to America, her paperwork stated Otylie Klus (Klus was not their real name). They left through a port in Germany (I'm at work and don't have it on me) and entered through Boston. They were from Austria. Originally scheduled to sail on the Titanic, she had a cold and they cancelled the trip and came over in 1913. Her father and uncle came in 1910 or '11. I found their exact dates, ports, etc and was going to send off for copies.

Aside from stories about life in Austria, that's all I know. Oh, if the stories are all to be believed their were quite well to do...possibly minor royals.

My cousin, though he refuses to admit it now, took the original papers that the Emperor signed when they left Austria. It had their names on it. Anyone who knew the name is now deceased.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Originally Posted By: Suellen
I have a brick wall with a Native American ancestor since their histories were more oral than written

Tracing Native American ancestry can be quite difficult because most family information was oral and not written down. I wrote an article which may be of help to anyone trying to track down their Native American heritage. You can read the article at the following link:
Tracing Native American Ancestry

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
you probably need to hook up with an Austrian list to see if anyone has information. Since her name on the manifest is not correct, you will need to search records there. It is a shame your cousin will not share the information. Perhaps the papers of the emperor contain a copy of the letter he has.

C
C
I received the following message from a friend of mine that didn't feel comfortable posting on our regular group site. Can someone help? Thank you, Cari Jane Cari, How have you been. I have put this off, just for not knowing how to say or word it. I found my Smoking Skeleton! My inablility of finding out more about my GRandma has come to a head and I know why even the little stuff was hidden. We know she was Indian, we know she was either Choctaw, or Chickasaw. But nothing to tell us either way. There may be clues in the news papers or court papers about her ... She was a very Well Respected Madaam of a Brothel in Chickasha in the late 20s and early thirties. But I cant of course find anything about her. Her name is Rosa Lee Hill Goad born 1879 Rusk TExas. Is there anyone that you knwo that can check a library or something for her.. Also her daddy James Monroe HIll b July 21 1832 Talladega AL Died in 1919 in the Confederate home in ARdmore.. no obits or where he is buried. Thank YOu so much ... and I Hope you understand why I didn't put this on the board... It doesn't bother me but I am not ashamed of her.. she did what she could for her family duirng the depression and had 3 daughters to support since GRandpa STerling Goad mangled his hand during a accident in the oil fields.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
CariJane,

I'll see what I can find tonite. Taking sons to work, but will look around this evening. Glad you wrote.
Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Goad Hill Genealogy

Are you able to open the above link. It has information on this family. If she can open, and it does not answer what she is wanting to know, let me know and I'll keep looking.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi there, Cosie3. I sympathize -- nearly all my research is in Europe, very little here in the US. I have been doing Genealogy for almost 36 years now. I would HIGHLY recommend you do two things: 1. Find the nearest LDS Family History Center and go there for an orientation on how to use their resources. The Mormons have been documenting European genealogy for several decades and are the ones we have to thank for building the research libraries for genealogists. 2. Buy a monthly subscription to Ancestry.com. I've been using them all this time and they have saved me hundreds of dollars and time. I know it's a bit pricey, so what I do is keep a US subscription for most of the year, saving up my leads needed European research, and then upgrading for about 3 mos at a time to the International collection. It's always worth it, because they are constantly adding to the collections. Once you've found your basic info, then it's worth it to consider a subscription to one of the archival news services that collect local newspaper articles. If you want any further help, you can reach me through email on smilinize@comcast.net. I'd be glad to help out in any way I can.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi, Lyn, I'm a genealogist with a lot of years experience in Austrian/Hungarian research ... and I can read a bit of the old style German as well. I will be glad to search on my Ancestry.com membership, unless you have done that already. Let me know via email and if I can do this for you, please send as much detail as you already know about her. I'm glad to help to any extent I can. My email is smilinize@comcast.net

Amoeba
Amoeba
Cari Jane: I did some research on Ancestry.com, and I think I have a page full on info on Rose Lee Hill (aka Rosalie Hill) and her husband, Sterling Goad (aka Wm Sterling Goad), info that was posted by two other researchers working these family lines. It's too much to post here. You can either give her my email (smilinize@comcast.net) or write to me yourself and I'll transfer what I've found.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Lyn, I have a sourcebook of European nobility and their trees -- I will try to see if I can find anything in it. What were the Austrian stories? If you can write them down and send to me, I can look for clues that may help. Been doing this with my family stories for about 30 years, would be gladto help. Austria's my particularly special place of interest. send anything you like to my home email (smilinize@comcast.net) Joan McGrath (jem626)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.