Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#600968 05/18/10 10:17 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Do you have a brick wall? Tell us about it so we might can help break it down. You can post about it here, or link to a website that describes your problem.

If you have a problem, more than likely someone else has too and can answer your questions. Maybe you can help someone else...

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
My brick wall is locating anyone in a foreign country! I have traced (or my sister has!) relatives to Dublin and County Tyrone in Ireland, and in England and in Alsace-Lorraine, but I have no idea what to do next. Any helpers?
Cosie3

Mary Ellen Werner
Risingsun, Ohio
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Cosie, great question.

Rootsweb has many research lists for these areas of the world. Sometimes subscribing to the lists provides networking opportunities. People who are researching in these areas have a wealth of experience with successes and pitfalls.

Have you read genealogical books or magazines about how to do research in these localities? Often these publications will give you the names and addresses of the libraries and other record repositories where you can write.

There are online resources also.

I had joined an Italian list (still belong to PIE in fact) and with the suggestions I received from knowledgeable folks, I found family in Italy and had an opportunity to meet them.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

S
S
I have a brick wall with a Native American ancestor since their histories were more oral than written

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
I have a huge brick wall that I've no idea how to get around. No one in the family knows what the original surname was. We know stories abaout our family, port of exit and entry, and I know my grandmother's original 1st name.

The only document that had their name on it was taken by a cousin who swears he never laid hands on it (he boasted about the man who translated it having bowed to him when he read it so we know he has it).

Is it going to be impossible?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Have a look on the BBC Radio 4 site. There was a genealoy program on yesterday about how to trace "vanished" Ancestors.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Thanks Ian. I'll check it out.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The program is called "Tracing your Roots" and you should be able to get it on BBC Iplayer.

This is the direct link:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oops! still learning to use the forums I think I left you enough information to find it alright. If you go to the BBC website and put "genealogy" into the search box you also get a lot of programs from both national British and local radio to listen to that may also be of help

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Lyn, what are the dates you have, which ports, and what was your grandmother's name?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.