#580113 01/22/10 06:51 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Cara, I appreciate your topic and forum more now that I have begun to question and explore spirituality and different belief systems. I took a philosophy class in college and I just didn't get it. I was not raised to question and in fact was taught that questioning was a form of doubting which was contrary to faith.

But now, after reading more about Socrates and such, I understand how vital philosophy is to the evolution of the thinking man. I like that philosophy champions morality without necessarily being dictated by religion.

Without philosophy, man would not be able to move beyond superstition.

What other reasons can you think of that makes philosophy so important to man?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Yes!!!

Chi, your post really brought a big smile to my heart! For a long time, my goal as a writer is to empower people so that they begin to question and define their own beliefs and spirituality. I never was sure if people get my intentions. Therefore, I was more than happy to see your comment.

Many of us was raised to NOT question our authorities or the beliefs of our authorities. Unfortunately, this does not help us grow as a human being. For me, spirituality is very different from religion even though I do have a lot of respect for many religions in the world. Spirituality is a person's true beliefs and feelings towards the creation and the world around them. Whereas religion is an expression of that belief. Therefore, not all spirituality fits into a single religion.

I think what makes philosophy so important is that it makes us question about the world around us and the purpose of our own existence. In this never ending process, we define our own life.

Last edited by Cara Philosophy Editor; 01/22/10 07:12 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Well, I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I came to discover that much of what I was raised to believe in was, in fact, untrue. I went on a search for truth and found more. But then, I discovered that not all of that was true.

Everywhere I went, I found half-truths. There are universal truths, which is a good beginning, but I realized that I had to continue to seek and that journey began by going within...seeking within my own self.

Millions of people believe in Jesus Christ. Millions of people believe in the Buddha. Millions believe in Moses. Millions believe in Joseph Smith. Millions don't believe in any of the above.

I can't tell you the mental challenge it was to tear down your basic belief system and start over. Tabla rasa. Clean slate. But it is so very good to, as you say, "question the world around us and the purpose of our own existence...and define our own life."

I was raised to be obedient but to what? May the truth set me free.

Last edited by Chi-Japanese Food; 01/22/10 07:26 PM.
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
I can certainly relate to what it's like to be raised in a culture that required much obedience. I also understand when you said how difficult it was to "tear down your basic belief system and start over". It was a very unsettling and confusing period of my life.

I spent years looking for the "absolute truth", yet I have come to the conclusion that we, as individuals, is responsible to find the truth on our own... Whether it is through religions or not.

It can be difficult when we feel like we don't fit in a particular religious belief system or the expectations of our own family. However, at the end of our life, we are ultimately responsible for our own choices, beliefs and actions in life.

For a long time, I felt bad that my spirituality did not fit into any single religion as I have great respect for both wisdom from the East and the West. But now, I don't feel like I have to hide that anymore. It certainly gives me a greater sense of freedom, and this freedom brings me much closer to be the person I always wanted to be.

I truly believe that life is a journey of growth and discovery. I sometime wish I know it all now, but I know perhaps I will never know the "absolute truth" that I was seeking.

Blessings.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Maybe because the truth is within. We seek without but maybe all we have to do is tune into ourselves.

There is so much noise outside and inside of us. (Be still and know that I am God.)

I am reaching a place in my life when I feel that all I need to do is listen, express thanks, appreciate, enjoy, love, laugh, do what brings joy and be kind. And help a little along the way. We are here to experience what it is that we chose to experience in order to further our spiritual development. There is no one path.

BTW, Cara, thank you for sharing my path. Your insights have made a difference in my life.

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Chi,

Thank you for sharing my path too. Certainly, there is no "One" path.
I am extremely grateful to have someone like you to understand and share the beliefs that I try so hard to convey sometimes.

I am glad we found each other on Bella Online. smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Cara,

Have you read "How to Know God" by Deepak Chopra? I think you would find it fascinating how he describes the different phases of stages of understanding God.

I am so surprised to see how my own view of life, God, religion, spirit, intelligence, etc. has changed!

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
No, I haven't read this book yet even though I am familiar with Chopra's work. I will check it out soon. Thanks Chi.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thanks, Cara. I would love your take on it. He has written tons of books and I am working my way through them, one by one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.