logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#590930 03/16/10 11:47 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Jeanne, I just read your article on the Lowland Gorillas. Awesome! I love to watch documentaries on gorillas. I used to visit Ivan at the B&I in the state of Washington when I lived there. It was so sad to see him confined all his life. It irritated him that people peered into his habitat daily. He had no privacy and would sometimes get very angry. I would communicate with him with hand signals and sometimes he would copy the signals. I wonder if he knew I was saying I understood his anger. I would then pat my heart and extend my hand to him. One day he did that for me.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Phyllis, that is incredible. Animals can sense our feelings so I feel sure that Ivan understood your compassion.

OP Offline
When Ivan died I felt like I had lost a friend.

You can read about Ivan HERE.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 03/16/10 12:41 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Koala
Koala
What a heartwarming story Phyllis. You betcha they know exactly what you are feeling.

OP Offline
I was told that Ivan died a few years ago. But - I just did some research and cannot find any info that he died. I remember when I was standing there looking in his window it seemed like he knew what I was thinking. I am sure many other people felt compassion for him also and he knew that. Ivan did find friends and love at Zoo Atlanta, so I am not as sad now, knowing that he has a good home. If he is still alive, he would be about 50 years old now. I would love to visit him again.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Phyllis!

Thank you for starting this thread! This week's article is Western Lowland Gorilla Facts for anyone else who wishes to read it.

I live about five miles from the Miami Metro Zoo which is considered one of the top ten zoos in the US. I love the fact I can go see the animals and take pictures of them for articles. Zoos are great for educating people about animals they know very little about. Zoos can be helpful in re-populating threatened species. Overall, the habitats seem to be very good for the animals at Miami Metro Zoo.

On the other hand, I do hate to see animals that appear to be depressed or stressed out in their environments. At my local zoo I can think of two exhibits where the animals may be depressed since they walk the same path over and over again. That's something the zoo keepers should remedy.

BTW, in this forum post Lowland Gorillas in the Animal Life forum someone mentioned the movie Gorillas In The Mist. If I'm not mistaken, Dian Fossey was in Rwanda studying mountain gorillas which are a bit different and even more threatened than the western lowland gorilla.

OP Offline
You are right, Jeanne - Dian Fossey studied the mountain gorillas in Rwanda. I did not make that distiction. I just love to watch gorillas.

What is the difference between the two species other than location? Is it mainly size?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Jeanne - I posted link to your great article in my Animal Life forum - needed to share.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Gecko
Gecko
I put up a fact sheet about Mountain Gorillas. I think the biggest difference is they live in Eastern Africa in the mountains and they have longer hair than most other gorilla species.

Moderated by  African Dawn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.