Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Very true. Britain was strategically perfect for the U.S. in the war. Hitler was so close to achieve what he wanted so many times, but so many things went against him.

Let me ask you this, in your opinion what was Hitler's worst decision? Wondering if it is the same as mine.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
The Worst decisions of Hitler in my opinion were:

1. Ignoring the advice of his Generals
2. Changing tactics in the Battle of Britain and thus losing the battle.
3. Declaring war on the USSR, Russia
4. Declaring war on the U.S.A. immediately after Pearl Harbor.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I was thinking of #3 of your list. His arrogance was his ultimate downfall which is scary that only that kept him from doing even more damage in the world.

Gecko
Gecko
I agree that #3 was a bad decision for Hitler. Just imagine -- had Hitler maintained the alliance with the USSR, how powerful that alliance would have been to the Allied forces, along with his alliance with Italy and Japan. WWII might have ended very differently. Thank heavens that arrogant rulers can't walk the same direction for a long period of time.

Parakeet
Parakeet
The invasion of Russia is the mistake most often stated by historians, but it was far from Hitler's only bad mistake. He might have prevailed in Russia, if he listened to the advice of his generals. Unfortunately, Hitler insisted on always being on the offensive and never retreating. If he allowed his forces to withdrawal before the Russian winter and then resume their offensive in the spring the outcome would have been very different. Hitler had superior weapons and soldiers, but Russia had more soldier's and the Russia winter. German forces were defeated as much, if not more, by the severity of the Russian winter as they were by Russian forces.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
In the end, it was Hitler's arrogance that was his downfall. He didn't need anyone telling him what to do. He was going to do what he wanted to do and he expected everything to turn out just fine. He underestimated the Allies. He thought he could overcome Mother Nature in Russia. One man's arrogance caused millions of deaths. He thought he had it all figured out. Guess we could then say the same for all the other men who did similar things.

Since we are going down this route, everyone comment on who you think could be considered one of the most evil men in history and why?

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
On the political events, I would agree with Craig58:
"The creation of the U.S. Constitution during the summer of 1787."

On the Scientific one I would agree with Claybird:
"I nominate Galileo's invention of the telescope."

The most important of all, in my opinion, was the Creation of humans - for no other inventions would have happened without mankind.

The most evil men in history?
Wow! I would have to say Hitler. To have the intention of genocide and carrying that out has got to be the most evil thing man could do. Watching "Schindler's List" and reading biographies of Jewish people who survived the holocaust confirms my opinion.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 04/17/10 08:42 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Parakeet
Parakeet
As bad as Hitler and the Nazis was the Japanese Imperial Army. To understand how evil and violent they were I recommend reading the book, "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang

Warning: the images and account of these events are extremely violent and can be very disturbing.

The Rape of Nanking, the book

Rape of Nanking: a website link

Last edited by Craig58; 04/18/10 02:11 PM.
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I'll have to read this. So many choose Hitler because he was the most publicized. There are many who did even more cruel actions. They might not have killed as many, but their methods were horrible. Stalin killed more than Hitler. Many of them were his family and closest friends. Hitler targeted groups of people and went after them and anyone who was in his way.

Parakeet
Parakeet
If you read "The Rape of Nanking" you better have a strong stomach. These atrocities are accounts of human butchery at its worst.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.