Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
DrdubbleG, mandyjones, Nicola x, Pure Bliss Handbags, LegacyPoetry
57153 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57154 Members
417 Forums
112902 Topics
799165 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 743
Beetlemess 516
Nancy Roussy 227
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 117
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 104
Mystic - Romance Movies 100
Dianne W - Editor 67
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 65
Tracy - Philosophy 57
Karm - SW USA Editor 56
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#595974 - 04/15/10 06:22 PM Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs
Nicki - BF & EC Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

There's been lots of coverage of the recent Pediatrics study that breastfeeding lowers health care costs and saves infant lives. Here's my take on the study and the chatter, and what I think about reaching the 90% goal stated in the study.

Please read the article and share your thoughts here...

Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs

Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Twitter Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Facebook Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to MySpace Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Del.icio.us Digg Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Yahoo My Web Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Google Bookmarks Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Stumbleupon Add Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Reddit
#595979 - 04/15/10 06:44 PM Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs [Re: Nicki - BF & EC Editor]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
I wish I was able to breastfeed, but I nearly died from birth complications and post-op infection and was placed on antibiotics after the birth of my firstborn. My second baby came prematurely and could not suckle. It took weeks of sucking therapy for her to learn, and by then, my milk stopped developing plus they wanted to be able to measure how much she was drinking.

The good news is that I WAS able to nurse my third baby--at least for four months. I treasure that experience even though it wasn't easy toward the end with very painful, cracked nipples and a baby who bit!

Breastfeeding is best for the baby, regardless of saving healthcare costs. No baby that I've heard of develops an allergy to its mother's milk. Mine did when I put my son on a manufactured formula and the a soy formula. He really suffered from gastrointestinal problems, poor baby. I wish I cold have nursed him

Nature knows best.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Twitter Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Facebook Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to MySpace Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Stumbleupon Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Reddit
#595983 - 04/15/10 06:59 PM Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs [Re: Lori - Marriage]
Nicki - BF & EC Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Chi... wow.. you were really put through the ringer. I'm so glad that you were able to experience nursing with your third, although I wish that I or someone could have offered you some support to have alleviated your pain.

Another piece of good news is that many hospitals are becoming so much more experienced at helping mothers of preemies, for whom breastmilk can be so important. This is a constantly evolving area of support.

But it is important to remember that there are times when breastfeeding simply has to take a backseat to maternal health or infant care as in your cases -- and THAT is what ABM is for!! But these cases like yours are a lot rarer than they would seem and a few days of support from hospitals could yield riches in preserving mom and baby's ability to nurse when it *is* possible.

I'm glad to hear you express no *guilt* about your situations -- you know you did what was needed for you and your baby each time, even if you wish things had gone differently. Breastfeeding advocacy gets so easily tangled up in issues of regret or guilt. Thanks for spreading the message without falling into that trap.

Warmly,

Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Twitter Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Facebook Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to MySpace Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Stumbleupon Add Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs to Reddit
#595997 - 04/15/10 08:36 PM Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs [Re: Nicki - BF & EC Editor]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
Well, I did pum some breastmilk for my second child and they used that to feed as she went through suck therapy. It wasn't much nor for very long and I hope even that little bit helped!

But, I do wish I knew more or I would have definitely pumped breastmilk for all of her feedings. Initially, she had to be gavage fed. I didn't realize that I could have given her breastmilk for that!

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#613047 - 07/27/10 10:39 PM Re: Breastfeeding and Health Care Costs [Re: Lori - Marriage]
BrendaDD Offline

I learned the hard way. I weaned my son at 9 months due to selfish reasons and at 10 months he contracted diarhea and lost too much fluid. We just got him to hospital in time, he was hours away from death.
This time I'm going for 2 years.

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New Post - Donegal Crolly Dolls
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Earth from Space - beautiful images
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Any of you know the navaratan rings
by silvergem
Fashion Jewelry
how much part jewelry play to make look ?
by silvergem
Women's Fashion
What type of shoe or shoes do you enjoy wearing ?
by Jamesst
Women's Fashion
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
may I know your Shopping sense
by Rina09
Women's Fashion
New Article: The Birdcage!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
05:36 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Rina09), 62 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.