Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's the final week before your classes begin. Here are some steps you should take to make sure you have the best possible chance of success during your classes.

First, make sure your classes WILL HAPPEN. If a class only has one person signed up out of 50, the class could easily be canceled. You might think, "it's an online class, why do they care if there's only one student in it?" But many classes rely on forum discussion and inter-class conversation to make the class work. Classmates are supposed to share ideas, give each other feedback, and so on. If there's only one of you in the class, it's hard to give yourself feedback! Make sure during that final week leading up to your class that you check in regularly on your classes. If the class seems full, you're probably in good shape. If you are the only person in your class, or there's only two or three of you in a class meant to be big, talk to your teacher or other contacts. Find out what the school's cancellation policy is. It might be wise to scope out an alternative class so you are prepared for trouble.

In my case, Northeastern typically has online classes that can handle up to 50 students. Two of my classes had about 25 students each, and seemed quite fine to run. A third class, though, only had 3 people in it. Rather than wait for disaster, I dropped that class and signed up for another one that was more full. That way I could continue my planning without any fears.

Look to see if the syllabus is available for each of your classes, and print those out. Start folders or binders or whatever works well for you to organize your time. Time management is one of the biggest challenges for online degrees. You have to keep track of your assignments, your deadlines, and stay on track. Hang a calendar by your desk and mark assignments on it. Use an online alarm program to put alerts on your computer when assignments are coming due. Use as many different systems as you need to. It is your own money and fate at risk here.

Get a sense for when everything begins, and what is going to be required. The more you become familiar with the steps, the less likely you will be caught off guard by something later on. Life throws disasters at you - a flooded basement, a killer cold. Be prepared. Read early. That way if you hit a glitch, it won't slow you down.

One of the biggest challenges with distance learning is getting your hands on textbooks. Usually you do not have a "campus bookstore" right there to go visit. Make sure you plan for your books IN ADVANCE. It can easily save you hundreds of dollars a semester in fees.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My experience with online college was..the class availability was at my fingertips in my opening page. All my books and syllabi were available online for free (they were part of the tuition fee), downloadable, and printable. Enrollment counselors are extremely helpful for answers to the points you brought up. Academic counselors help schedule classes and down time so financial aid isn't at risk, they also would be the ones to notify a student if there was a problem with a class being available. I wholeheartedly agree that time management is important. I even had a class that addressed that very issue. I think online college rocks. I graduated last Dec. with a positive experience with online school. I recommend it for anyone whose schedule isn't user friendly for brick and mortar school.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's interesting Granny. In this case, the syllabus is just a list of "what we do each week" so yes that is definitely online and free - that's how you know what to do. But the books are NOT free. You have to buy real physical books at book stores. They're $100 to $150 each.

Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
My online courses had the course notes and the syllabi available free and they could be printed. I did print them out as I had the time and always printed the next two chapters so that I could read those whenever I had some time rather than only when I was on the computer. I happened to find it helpful as well for finding information more quickly when I knew I had read it but wasn't quite sure where.
However, I did have to order and pay for the textbooks which were required for the courses. I did order them as soon as it was possible because I didn't want to get behind in the reading due to not having the books. The downside of that for me was that I had to pay for new books because the college I attended did not have any online list of students who may have wanted to sell their texts.
Re time management, it is one of the biggest issues for distance learners. Everyone has their own way of managing their time that works best for them and they need to be vigilant in following their plan. I actually did have a calendar beside my desk that I marked everything on including my schedule for reading the course notes, the text readings, and posting to the bulletin board as well as the assignments that were due. That calendar was much easier for me to use than some of the methods that work well for other people. I also found that reading my course e-mail and the bulletin board was helpful since most instructors will remind students about upcoming assignments and of any changes in them either by e-mail or on the bulletin board or both. The other students also sometimes ask questions about the assignments which do clarify some points on the assignments as well as acting as a reminder.
Setting aside some time that works well for you to study is another important factor. I personally am not a person who can take in information when I am too tired and therefore my best time to study is in the morning. However, while I was taking courses, I was working from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm so I couldn't study in the morning. However, I did on many days when I was especially tired in the evening fit in a 15 to 30 minute nap. That seemed to work for me. I could then read and absorb the information. So you need to find what works best for you even if the situation isn't the ideal one. Maybe for you the solution will be to read in the park on your lunch hour. smile Brrr.. too cold in my area for that!

Last edited by Elizabeth-Distance Learn; 04/10/10 10:06 PM.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
For us the syllabus is just a 1-2 page PDF file which says things like

week 1 - read chapter 1. Draft Paper due Sat.
week 2 - read chapter 2. Final paper due Sat.

So it's just a quick list of what is going on, and some contact information. I think more detailed information becomes available in the "blackboard" which activates Sun night / Mon morning when the class officially begins.

I am nervous about the time management since I'm already working 24 hours a day. I made a commitment to myself to get through these courses because they are all going to teach me how to be a better mentor to everybody. So I will find a way somehow.

I was just reading chapter 1 of my organizational communication book (the only one I have in house so far) and it was great! It had a lot of information about communicating well with people in your organization. So I am very enthusiastic that my time spent on this course will help me immediately.

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lisa, Phoenix uses a syllabus that outlines the entire course, what work is due and when in minute detail. We also had a page that gave the reading assignments along with links to extra information that was separate from the syllabus. We also were given a calendar that gave due dates of specific assignments in a weekly format. We also had a requirement to be logged into our classroom discussion 4 times a week which costitued our attendance, and were graded on the quality of the discussion answers as well as our discussion with other classmates. It's interesting to me to learn of the differences in online schools. Our local community college gives classes online that seems more like the one you speak of. Those online classes are a substitution for being in a classroom. I don't know how the classes are set up at your school, mine were 2 classes every nine weeks which allows one to earn an associates in 2 years just like a brick and mortar setting. After that the classes are 5 weeks long, one class at a time and again, the BS degree is earned in 2 years.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Parakeet
Parakeet
Lisa -

Keep in mind that your class is based on being able to do the work with the information made available as it is made available. Of course, with your schedule already full you'll probably have to limit some existing activities to add new ones, but it's doable. One thing that I and a number of my friends who are professionals going back to school via distance learning have struggled with is the level of effort to put to assignments - what we consider acceptable as professionals often turns out to be much higher than the level of effort expected by the professors, so we end up doing extra work for no reason.

Best of luck!

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's an interesting though Julie. For example they say you have to post at least 2 items in the discussion boards each week. I'm sure I've posted at least 40 items in one class alone smile So maybe it will settle down once we get into it.

Granny - Yes definitely the syllabus lists the reading for each week, but usually it's fairly straightforward like "read chapter 1 for week 1" and so on. You're also given a PowerPoint presentation that goes with the chapter to walk through. One instructor's PowerPoint was 77 pages. Then you have the classroom discussion, in the discussion boards. So that is where you are asked questions and have to give your opinions. Finally there is also a paper due at the end of each week which you submit to your instructor.

I'm only on Day 1 so I can give more details as the days go on!

Low Carb Forum
Parakeet
Parakeet
Lisa -

I decided I was probably posting too much when I realized that in both my classes I had made close to half the postings. :-)

It's weird to realize that most people are starting classes right now (the train I take to work ends at Portland State and so there are a bunch of new students on it too) as my class is in week 11 of 13!

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am a bit post happy too smile I think part of it is I am very nervous about doing a good job. This is a big undertaking for me - it's a lot of money and it's a big chunk of my time. I want it to be "worth it" - I want to learn a lot, and I want to get an A.

If they will be thrilled with me making 20 posts, though, I need to realize that and not go overboard with 100 posts smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.