Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've been going through all the financial paperwork for online schools for a while now, so I wanted to offer to talk to people about it!

If you are offered a SUBSIDIZED loan, that is great!! It means you owe NOTHING until you graduate, plus another six months! The government pays all interest charges. You literally owe nothing at all until that six month point after you graduate. So you could pay it off at that point - the basic loan cost - and be done. This falls into the category of "free money" to me. Even if you have the money, you might as well take it. Your money can be earning interest for the 4 years you are going to school.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
L
Nothing's free, the interest payments on the loan are just getting taken out of other people's paychecks to pay the lender. I urge you to take only what you need!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm not sure what you mean by "other people's paychecks"? I've been a working person in the United States for over 20 years now and have paid a TON of taxes into the system. This doesn't even come close to me getting back out a share of what I've put in! smile

Low Carb Forum
L
L
I mean that, agree with it or not, we work and pay those taxes so that those who need it to get an education can access it. I've made use of it myself over the years. Your initial comment refers to subsidized student loans as "free money," and you encourage borrowers to take more than they need in order to earn interest in a bank account for four years. The money is not free, the bank doesn't forgive that interest, rather tax dollars just pay the interest while you're in school. Regardless of how you choose to justify it (e.g., getting out what you've put in), it is an abuse of the system, as evidenced by the loan entry process wherein you sign a statement that clearly says you should not take more than you need. I'm not much for micromanagement, and to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really bother me that individuals abuse the system--I'm sure I've abused various systems myself over the years--but promoting that abuse in a public forum, without an airing of the facts, does bother me, and thus my comment. I'm fine with whatever people do, generally. But I will always do my best, if and when I can, to make sure they know what it is that they are doing.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's intriguing because I consider myself a highly ethical person. I agonize over my taxes and make sure I document every single thing I do in there. I don't sneak alcohol onto cruise ships. I point out errors on bills and make sure I pay the proper amount.

However, if my Northeastern class set for the spring is $3,000 - and they offer me a $2,500 subsidized loan to cover it - I am going to TAKE IT. The money in my savings account is an emergency fund to cover disasters that BellaOnline could suffer. I am not going to risk the livelihood of 400 BellaOnline editors and empty out my savings account. I don't think that's morally or ethically right.

The government has that loan to cover my costs - and it doesn't even cover my full costs!! - I am going to use it towards those costs. The fact that I know I can pay it back immediately already puts me ahead of the many students I know who take out loans and plan on either defaulting or delaying their repayments. If anything I am the ideal recipient for their loan, because they WILL get their money back in the fastest way possible once it is used for its stated purpose.

So I have to respectfully disagree on this issue.

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lisa, I also took the subsidized loan. My loan accrued interest while I was in school that I paid on, although I didn't pay it all. When my payments start that interest will be included in my payback amount.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Granny - I'm a bit confused. I thought an unsubsidized loan was the kind you're talking about, where it does accrue interest and that interest is rolled into your payments. I thought a subsidized loan was where the government paid your interest for you during your school years, so when you graduate all you pay is the actual loan, and no interest during the schooling period.

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I'll double check with my financial advisor, I could have my facts messed up, but some of my loan was paid for by the government and a good share I pay for myself but it's at a low interest rate.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
L
L
Lisa, You are correct about subsidized v. unsubsidized loans, no interest accumulates on subsidized loans while you are in school, it is paid for by the government. Now let me be clear, because the story seems to have changed a bit. Having an emergency fund in the bank and taking a loan to cover education costs is in NO WAY what I was criticizing. In fact, I think that is a common sense approach to take. I don't think it unethical to make sure you are financially covered. The issue I took on was the suggestion to anyone that you should take any more money than you need (to meet your life and educational and emergency expenses) and sock it away in a bank account simply because it is an opportunity to make money off the interest, since the government (all of us) would be paying the bank's interest charges. If you are not even covering your tuition costs with the loan, then you are not doing what you suggested in your first post, where you said, "Even if you have the money, you might as well take it. Your money can be earning interest for the 4 years you are going to school." That is an inappropriate endorsement and an abuse of the system. What you have done is not. I hope that clarifies my position.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't think there's any chance that any person's college costs could be completely covered by the loans the government offers. The loans barely pay for a few courses. So I don't think there's any fear of a person going full time to school and somehow having "lots of extra money" through that loan.

My point was that many students destroy their personal finances to get through college because they feel the degree is critical to their adult career path. They think, if that money is in their savings account, that they should turn down the loan because "loans are bad". I don't think they should do that. If they have a savings account, they should treasure that, nurture it, and take the subsidized loan for its purpose.

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.