logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LynnieW Offline OP
OP Offline
Are there others in this forum that have their main symptoms being intense chest pains that mimic heart attacks? I have been checked and checked by cardiologists with echo-cardiograms, stress tests and heart monitors showing no cardiac symptoms, but the pain persists. I am thinking it could be fibromyalgia. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

Last edited by LynnieW; 04/05/10 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Lynnie!

Have you been seen by a rheumatologist?

He or she may be a good starting point.

I hope you feel better soon, and wish you the best of luck!

LynnieW Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I will talk to my GP about a referral. I am getting at my wits end with the feeling tired and pain and worry.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
That's good to hear!

Keep a chart of your medical symptoms, and bring that with you to your appt. It'll be easier than trying to remember every time you've felt bad. Track your fatigue (maybe on a scale 1-5, with 5 being too tired to get out of bed, and 1 feeling great), along with any chest pains, and any other types of pain and where it occurs (shoulders, arms, legs, etc).

Your rheumatologist will be able to do blood work and a completely evaluation, on the chance it is an autoimmune disease. It might help to have any medical tests you've had forwarded to the rheumatologist.

Please let us know how it goes! Good luck! smile

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Just checking in--hope everything is going ok, and that you were able to get a referral. smile

D
D
(Note: apologies for such a LONG response) Hi LynnieW, Just joined Bella a few minutes ago and chose a couple of the forums. This is where I came 1st and Your question is the 1st one I saw and I wanted to add my 2cents worth in the hope that maybe something I experienced is something your doctor may not have considered. I also suffer Chest pain... caused by several conditions. I'll start with the 'easiest' one. I have arthritis in my ribcage, and when that acts up, it can really hurt to breath, with aching all around my chest, front and back. I often get a sensation like I can't take a full breath of air or get enough oxygen. Sometimes I feel like my chest is being crushed, with my ribs squeezing my lungs making it hard to breath. My Doctor diagnosed this by a combination of known symptoms & Chest X-rays showing the arthritis, particularly where the ribs connect to the Breast Bone. Also... 10 years ago I had an extensive Upper GI work-up (multiple tests) for severe reflux & swallowing difficulty. With a barium swallow they discovered that I was suffering from "Esophageal Spasms" also know as "Corkscrew Esophagus". With the Barium contrast you could actually see the "twist", it really looked like a Corkscrew or Ribbon Candy. Esophageal Spasms are well known (to those that are knowledgeable about the condition) to cause severe pain that MIMICs Heart Attack. That's what I was experiencing on a daily basis and strong Narcotic pain meds barely touched the pain. The Primary trigger for my spasms are eating. I had to modify my diet to very soft foods and remember to eat small bites. Meat was the biggest problem as it is hard to masticate it enough that it actually gets soft. Chicken and Fish were easier to eat and Beef the worst, even ground beef. Once the spasms are triggered, they tend to last 3 to 5 hours, or about as long as it takes all the food to leave the stomach. There are various medications that can help with the sypmtoms of Corkscrew Esophagus. It can take several tries to find the right one for you. It turns out that meds that help with heart pain or angina can work for some patients, either stopping or decreasing the severity of the problem. The first thing we tried was Nitroglycerin Tabs, but I had multiple problem side effects. Then we tried Nitro in a cream. (A dab was applied to the skin over the esophagus just before eating, then wiped off after I finished eating.) Yah, I know, it sounds really weird, but it did work, very quickly and efficiently. Only problem... I suffer from Migraines and even this small amount was sufficient to trigger some real doozies, with pain so severe that if I was eating out, I couldn't drive home. The next thing we tried was a Calcium Channel Blocker called Diltia XT ER (namebrand)and it took several months to gradually get control of the spasms. I've now taken this med. for 8 years. I had good control the 1st 6 years until our insurance company denied coverage of the name brand. I've been changed to 3 different Generics over the last 2 years, and the spasms are no longer under good control. These are just 2 POSSIBLE causes of chest pain & remember this is just MY experience. Good luck with your search for the cause of your chest pain. Karen aka DesertGator "Like many FibroMites, I have a number of medical conditions that I call 'The CAKE'. Then on top of that, I have Fibromyalgia.... What I call 'The ICING on the CAKE'." --------- Oops, forgot to mention... I also had an extensive checkup with an EKG and a Stress Test by my Internist. I neglected to mention the other tests they did in trying to determine the cause(s) of my chest pain. As I'm sure you know, many folks who have experienced a heart attack, mistakenly believed that they were experiencing 'heart-burn'. So that's why my doctors did such a complete set of Upper-GI tests. It does make sense, if a heart attack can mimic heart-burn, then heart-burn might mimic heart attack. They Endoscoped my Stomach, I also had a 24-hour acid production test with a naso-gastric tube in my stomach attached to a computer that measured acid production. Then a manomotry(sp) again with a naso-gastric tube that measured how high up the esophagus acid was going.

Last edited by DesertGator; 04/14/10 05:28 PM.
HI I AM NEW HERE JUST TO DAY... NOT NEW TO FMS THOUGH...HAD IT 30 YEARS.... THE PAIN YOU DISCRIBE IS VERY COMMON TO FIBROMYALGIA.... CALLED "COSTOCHONDRITIS"... I HAVE NOT HAD THIS BUT HAVE MANY FRIENDS THAT HAVE...& THEY TELL ME IT IS AWFUL.....(BUT NOT A HEART PROBLEM..) FEELS LIKE IT THOUGH... THEY APPY HEAT...BE IT IN A GEL, OR SOFT HEAT PACK,..THIS HELPED THEM A LOT, BUT DOESN'T GET RID OF IT ALL TOGETHER...THAT'S A MATTER OF TIME.... DO LOOK THIS UP IN A 'MEDICAL WEB SITE' & SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR CONFIRMATION.... NICE TO BE HERE &NICE TO MEET YOU.. LOVE WENDY OZ XXX

LynnieW Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I have managed to get a referral for 28th May! Earliest one I could get.

LynnieW Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Wendy I am hoping that this is what it is (I know that sounds strange, hoping I have something) at least it would be an answer! Heat does help and it definitly comes and goes in cycles, the pain would be ok, it's the lethergy that is associated with it that's the biggest issue.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi LynnieW! So happy to have an appointment!

Let us know how it goes, and good luck! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fibro Herbs 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.