Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
fit4fashion, ashjoielee, johnnie55, uveuleurz, Noitartst
57308 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57309 Members
417 Forums
113288 Topics
803698 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 550
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 369
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 268
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 81
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 55
Nancy Roussy 53
Linu 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#593696 - 04/01/10 11:12 PM Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do?
Judie Quilting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

I'm not one for planning my quilt before cutting and sewing. I like to let my quilt morph as I go along. What about you? How much do you plan before you get going? Do you sketch and work out measurements as you go along, or do you just let it all happen?

Let other quilters know what suits you best.
Cheerio for now

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Twitter Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Facebook Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to MySpace Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Del.icio.us Digg Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Yahoo My Web Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Google Bookmarks Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Stumbleupon Add Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Reddit
#593698 - 04/02/10 02:06 AM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: Judie Quilting Editor]
rodant Offline

some quilts I plan in a sort of way but most times I end up with changes here and there. I find if I follow a set pattern that I get upset if it isn't just right.

Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Twitter Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Facebook Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to MySpace Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Reddit
#593736 - 04/02/10 10:10 AM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: rodant]
chynanny Offline

Oh I just told my friend the other day it takes me longer to thing it out an the colors then the really sewing!

Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Twitter Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Facebook Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to MySpace Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? to Reddit
#593811 - 04/02/10 05:02 PM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: chynanny]
GrannyH Offline
Zebra

Loc: West-Central Minnesota
Since I only quilt to make specific articles, I definitely plan everything ahead of time. And even then (from time to time) I find myself re-planning the plan. My biggest problem is not liking the same material to be in adjoining blocks. I've got to plan to avoid that happening.

#595487 - 04/12/10 09:25 PM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: GrannyH]
MaggieB Offline

I guess if I am making an art quilt I just go with the flow... so that I can adjust, and readjust as I go. If I am making a functional, going to use this patchwork quilting to sleep or cuddle under, I plan ahead. MaggieB BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

#595492 - 04/12/10 09:35 PM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: MaggieB]
MaggieB Offline

UBB code? Oops, sorry... I didn't know, or how to do that.

#595561 - 04/13/10 08:28 AM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: MaggieB]
Judie Quilting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Hey Maggie, not sure why that happened either. It usually pops up when someone puts in a link to their site. But you didn't do that.

I'm interested when you talk about the difference between an art quilt and a traditional quilt design. I feel the same. Just recently I entered a challenge and just went with the flow and was pretty pleased with the result. I really enjoyed that process. When getting into the traditional, if I plan, and it doesn't work out, I get disappointed. So I tend not to plan too far ahead.
Cheerio for now

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

#595809 - 04/14/10 04:10 PM Re: Quilts - To plan or not to plan? What do you do? [Re: Judie Quilting Editor]
GrannyH Offline
Zebra

Loc: West-Central Minnesota
Maggie: Check the FAQ above. You can't include URLs until you've made a certain number of posts. I just don't remember what that number is right now.

Maggie and Judie: I've never even considered making an art quilt. Could you explain how you start them if it doesn't involve planning? I mean, do you start with just a small idea, or just pick up a couple pieces of fabric, or what. It's a concept that is so foreign to me, I can't imagine doing it. Maybe that's because I can't do a thing in my live without a plan. smirk GrannyH

Moderator:  Judie Quilting Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
8 minutes 9 seconds ago
Body image in the fashion industry
by EmmaIsherwood
Body Image
41 minutes 8 seconds ago
Birth control without the uncomfy "check-up"
by fit4fashion
Gynecology
Today at 12:50 PM
Online thrifting! Designer clothes starting at $5!
by fit4fashion
Frugal Living
Today at 12:46 PM
Server Problems
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Crochet
Today at 12:11 PM
New game - Quote it
Creativity
Today at 12:09 PM
Music ABC game
Pop Music
Today at 12:04 PM
Boston Bruins afghan pattern to crochet
by Melissa - Crochet Editor
Crochet
Today at 10:56 AM
I Am Back Online
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 09:28 AM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Today at 09:19 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Susan - Meditation Editor), 132 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.