logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
hi everyone! I'm doing some work for [url=http://www.underagedrinking.samhsa.gov/]a new website that provides tips on how to talk to your teen/child about underage drinking.[/url] It can be a tough topic to discuss, but research shows that 40% of kids have tried alcohol by the time they reach 8th grade, and those who start drinking before they're 15 are SIX TIMES more likely to have alcohol problems than those who start drinking after they're 21! Have you guys thought about how you're going to bring this up with your kids?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Kids form attitudes toward alcohol and drinking from their parents' behavior. A parent can't tell his child not to drink when he himself downs a six-pack every Friday night.

Even though drinking is romanticized in movies and media, kids are affected mostly by their own parents' beliefs about alcohol. Too many parents make drinking seem like a fun, grown-up privilege. They make drinking seem so appealing for kids who want to seem grown up. One of my sisters and her husband love to drink socially. Of course, each of their kids associate drinking with fun and they sneak drinks when they can.

I always warned my kids that anything--drugs, alcohol or anything else--that can rob you of your ability to think is dangerous. Drinking to the point of inebriation is a very bad thing. They adopted that attitude. One of my kids (an adult) will drink some but not very often. And he has never been drunk. My adult daughter refuses to drink at all. But a friend of hers became a serious alcoholic by age 18.

We talked about drinking early. We tried not to sound disapproving or judgmental. We pointed out examples among family and friends. We explained the lure of it and why kids liked it, but we always always warned them about not being able to defend yourself and think for yourself. Girls often get raped without realizing it or being able to stop it. Boys, too. And then, we talked to them about the harm that alcohol does to your brain and liver. Alcohol is a poison. The body can tolerate oderate amounts on occasion, but do you want to run the risk of ruining your health?

We taught them to rise above the peer pressure. It's so stupid. They've seen drunk people and know how stupidly they act.

An important note: we never forbid our kids to drink. We shrugged and said if they want to try it, try it. We have a drink on occasion. It took away the taboo, the lure of it. If you DO make it taboo, kids will drink to rebel and to show that they can do their own thing, if they want.

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.