logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
My latest article is about Admiral Grace Hopper, one of the pioneers in computing in the US. A new thing I learned about her in researching this is that she was skilled in business as well as computing. I think the necessity of business skills among computer professionals is often overlooked, but this underscores their importance.

Julie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I think you can remove US from the above. She was one of the pioneers of computing, full stop.

I was also going to comment about the emphasis in your article on her being a woman until I reached your sentence:

However, I feel like sometimes the fact that she was an important and well-known woman in early computing is allowed to overshadow the fact that she was an important person in early computing

I agree. She was a most important person in early computing.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
D
Shark
Shark
D
I had the honor of listening to her talk and meeting her briefly back in the 80's. What a fantastic, powerful leader, and funny to boot!

Her trademark was handing out a foot of copper wire to audience members, as that was about the distance that an electron travels in a nanosecond.

Definitely one of the great Americans and overall scientists and engineers of the 20th century.

Don McKay, Softball Editor
Softball Site
Softball Forum
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
So in light of Peter's comment about the saying she was a "pioneer in the US", I want to clarify what I was trying to say - Grace Hopper was a computing pioneer and intimately involved with most (maybe all) early computing in the US.

Don, it's so neat that you got to meet her! I read that with the wire, she'd emphasize not wasting time, even a nanosecond. I know I could definitely improve in that area! (I don't think I waste a lot of time, but I definitely waste nanoseconds!)

Julie

Moderated by  Maria - Computer Careers 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.