Next Thread
Print Thread
#591490 03/18/10 07:14 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Are you watching WDYTYA? What do you think about this type of show? Would you like to see it become a regular weekly feature? Who would you like to see featured? Is there a research situation you would like to see talked about?

What have you liked best so far? I really could related to alot of what Sarah Jessica Parker was feeling as we had similar situations arise. I was really touched by Emmitt Smith's story. It was so sad to me that he could visit the "white" graves and only look out into the thick forested trees and just imagine where "his" ancestor might be buried.

Would love to hear your ideas about the show.

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I missed episode #2 - wasn't home.

Jessica Parker annoyed me as she was a bit too theatrical. Perhaps I have been doing this too long.

The story line is a lot like History Detectives, a show I really like. The hosts on WDYTYA do not tell you how much work goes into searching these histories.

I would like to know:

* how did they chose their subjects?
* will they have examples of brick walls (altho' you indicated Emmitt Smith's line had a brick wall)?
* will the hosts emphasize that she may have gone to the locations to see the records and places, she really didn't do any of the work?

Last edited by Angie; 03/18/10 07:28 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I also feel they need to let the "public" know you can't get all this info in less than an hour. Hehe. They had researchers spend weeks getting this together for the show.

Also, you do not handle these old documents with your hands. You wear gloves, etc.

Not all of us can just pick up and travel to where the records are, although that is on my "wish list".

I also wondered how this show picked their subjects. I know Lisa is one of the producers and was involved in the overseas version and maybe she knows these people?

I know for now they pick "famous" people to get our attention. But, for a weekly show, it would be great to go to different places and do the average person from different ethnic groups. Maybe follow someone week to week doing the process to show how long it can take and we can experience their joys and frustrations.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I haven't heard of this show but it sounds fascinating.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Catch it tonight - 8 pm EST. Lisa Kudrow's family history is featured.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I enjoyed tonite alow. But, I wish there were not so many commercials. Plus, each time they return from a commercial they repeat the previous info, like we had time to forget.

I would rather see more research done vs the repeating info. But, still give it a thumbs up episode. Very sad, but ended on a good note.

Look forward to next Friday nite.

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
The episode was quite an historical eye-opener. You're right, it did have a happy ending.

One good thing that came from this episode, there are a lot of records out there - you need to ask questions about what is available.

The commercials and review of each segment does grate; documentaries use that formula.

P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Sounds like a very interesting show. I will have to try and catch it next time.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Brooke Shields has quite a heritage.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes, she does. While I have enjoyed all the shows, I really enjoyed Emmitt Smith and Matthew's the most so far. I felt more in common with Sarah as my husband had ancestor that was also convicted and killed during the Salem Witch Trials. I am so happy the show has been picked up for another season.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.