logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
First off, I'm new to these forums, so: Hello, everyone =) Now on to the issue: I'm not yet pregnant, but I want to have names ready for when I do become pregnant. And I really want my first daughter to be named to honor my grandmothers, just as my first son will be named Matthew Allen for my grandfathers Hugh and Richard Allen. But the problem is, my grandmothers names are Verna Gerturde Henn and Marie Minchella (their birth names). The only name I can think of that fits my naming style is Margaret Lucille (Margaret because Marie and Margaret start the same and Gretchen is a nickname/variant form which could be a combination of Gertrude and Henn. Lucille because both my grandmothers loved Lucille Ball and it was a tradition to watch I Love Lucy with them before bed whenever I was staying over at one of their houses.), but I feel that Margaret and Matthew are too close. I want to honor my grandmothers, but I dont know how to in a way that matches my naming style. I want a strong, feminine, long first name with at least one nickname for the first name. The middle name does not matter too much, just so long as it flows well with the first name and it's nothing too trendy, preferably more on the classic side. Any ideas? ** to give you an idea on my naming style for girls, these are other names on my list: Anastasia Darcy Alexandra Patrice Jacqueline Adele Genevieve Erin Madeleine Sophia (more like a guilty pleasure since I'd never use it and Matthew) Penelope Renee Eleanor Ruby Miranda Tess/Therese **

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Honoring grandmothers is a long time tradition - kudos to you for giving it a go.

I was named straight out for both grandmothers - Susan Helene.

And I gave my daughters the middle name of their grandmothers, Jane and Kathryn.

My daughter gave my grand daughter my first name for her middle name.

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
My grandson's middle name is Michael, after me!

Each time I had a baby (I had 3) my dad would offer me money to name them after him. Edward for a boy, Edwina for a girl. LOL There is just no amount of money in the world that I would name my daughter Edwina...LOL

The best advice I can think of is looking for variations of your grandmother's names.
Perhaps for Minchella, you can use the name Michelle, or Mikela (I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong)

Perhaps looking at different cultures names will help.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
Gecko
Gecko
How about Vernamarie and then add a middle name of your choosing.

Or Lucille Ball was a strong woman onto herself - how about Lucille as a first name along with a middle name you like. Explain to your grandmothers why you are choosing Lucille (I think it is a great story with a very sentimental feel!!)

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I like the idea of naming children after someone important in their history. It is generally done one at a time, but you are fortunate in this case since the names go together very easily. You can honor them both, and I really like Verna Marie.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
First, I love that you want to honor your grandmothers. Fewer and fewer people seem to be honoring family members with baby names nowadays, which I feel is too bad, as it's such a cool thing to do.

Two thoughts I had while reading:

-I don't think Matthew and Margaret are too close, personally. I could see those M's getting in the way if there were ever a third child (would you have to continue the pattern?) but, otherwise, I think the right nickname could mask the closeness. Matthew will probably turn into Matt, and Margaret could become Meg, Maggie, Gretchen, Greta, Peggy, Marge, Mae...any of a number of things. Matt and Meg sound similar, but Matt and Gretchen aren't much alike.

-I really like Robin's idea of Lucille as a first name. The name fits with your style, and it meaningfully connects the baby to *both* grandmothers, while honoring neither over the other. Quite a diplomatic solution, I think. smile

Here are some other name ideas:

Valerie or Valeria (Verna + Marie)

Euphemia (U-sound from Gertrude + M's of Marie Minchella)

Henrietta (as an extension of Henn)

Marcella (Marie + Minchella)

Margot (Marie + Gertrude)

Gabriella (Gertrude + Minchella)

Last edited by Nancy C.; 03/10/10 07:09 PM.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
L
L
the modern Jewish tradition is to take the first initial - so my husband's grandfather Jacob died recently, and any J-name (Josh, Joy, Jewel, Jon) would have been considered to be in his honor. That gives a lot more flexibility otoh, i really like your idea of using Lucille

K
K
If a name is intended to honor a grandparent, I think that so long as it has meaning in your eyes, it is an honor. It doesnt have to be exactly the same name to be an honor. Even using similar letters will work so long as the name means something to you. Here are some suggestions Violet Minchella (V for Verna)nickname Vi Henriette Marie (Hennriete for Henn)Nickname Henny or Etta Eleanore Madeline (Eleanore for Minchella) nickname Ella Eleanore Madeline also works in the name madeline which you like without being too close to Matthew :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.