Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#589447 03/07/10 02:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Spring is here which means I can finally steam clean the carpet and have it dry quickly. The windows being open helps SO much with drying time!

I'm off to do two passes - one with detergent, then a water rinse. We'll see how long this takes!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Over an hour to steam clean the living room carpet. It's clean! Plus I cleaned up the wine fridge top, while listening to Transformation CD. OK, progress.

Next, the bathroom floor. I'm running out of time now, guests arrive at 6 smile 2.5 hrs!

Low Carb Forum
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I can't wait until it's warm enough here to do the exact same thing, Lisa. With all of the extra people in my house, my wall to wall is totally depressing to look at. It's so funny that you would post this today. I did break out my little handheld earlier and at least did the stairs. Another couple of months and I should be able to do a serious steam clean!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I haven't done the stairs in YEARS, so you are ahead of me. I should try to do that sometime in the coming week. That and my office which is now COVERED in piles of paper and books. Everything that was in the living room has come into here.

Low Carb Forum
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Gosh, you are fast at steam cleaning your living room carpet. I always steam clean my whole house right before Thanksgiving. Time to do it again in a couple of weeks unless your available. LOL I just love clean carpet, mostly since I have all white carpet throughout the house.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
There are a few things to know when you steam clean a carpet. First, be sure you are steam cleaning and not wet cleaning. There is a difference. If water--hot or cold--is being sprayed onto your carpet, it is wet cleaning.

Both wet and steam cleaning should not be done more than three times a year as water, heat and cleaners break down the fibers and backing of the carpet. And when you do clean it, rinse well or dirt will stick to the residual cleansers and cause stain spots.

Also, do keep your carpets cleaned and vacuumed to get a long life from them, not to mention better appearance! Dirt rubs and breaks down carpet fibers when people walk on it. And then, it can settle underneath and no amount of vacuuming will pick it up. So spot clean often and vacuum more than once a week.

One last tip: Do as the Japanese do! Take off your shoes when you are indoors. That is good for your feet AND your carpet. But try your best not to go barefoot. The oils from your feet, as well as the smelly odor and possible foot fungi, transfer to the carpet and will attract dirt. Dirt will stick to all that muck and not vacuum up. So the key is to wear houseshoes or socks!

If you don't like to wear houseshoes or socks, or if guests come along, it is better to keep outdoor shoes on. Just brush them well before entering and be sure to vacuum your carpet often.

Some types of carpet suppliers will Scotch Guard your carpet or some other type of protection. That is well worth the added cost.

Oh, and those dry spray on carpet cleaners work but you must vacuum super well because tiny particles left behind can be hard on those with asthma or little babies who crawl on carpet. In fact, if you have babies, I would refrain from using those.

Sorry for the long post but I couldn't resist putting in my two cents.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chi, I think you have great suggestions. i try to do have house shoes in the RV we live in, but it's not really realistic. So we ripped out anything resembling carpet and just use a squeegee-like floor sweeper several times a day.

I have a habit of ripping up carpet every place i live. Sometimes I get in trouble for it. I hate carpet. To me, carpet is like having a petri dish for a floor.

The times i have been forced to have carpet, I use a steam cleaner with no soap a few times a month, just to suck up the grossness.

I also don't use sponges. LOL. Honestly, sponges and carpets are SO appealing to microorganisms. And solid flooring is so much prettier.

Obviously I am a flooring person. smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I agree about solid flooring! But there is something so comforting about wriggling your toes into plush CLEAN carpet! It's nice to have carpet in the bedroom at least! Otherwise, the room feels so cold.

I do use sponges but I either 1. zap them wet in a microwave oven; 2. run them in the dishwasher; or 3. rinse with a touch of bleach in order to disinfect them. My sponges don't last long when I bleach them, but on well.

P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
What you posted makes a lot of sense. I'm glad you put in your two cents. I clean my carpt twice a year and do minor spot cleaning when needed. I make it a habit to remove the shoes before entering the house. With white carpet throughout the house, I can imagine what it would look like without taking off the shoes. Thanks for the great advice, and I'm sure people are taking it to heart.

P
P
I also did that work on my carpet because my parrot bird did a poop on it. I dried it in front of my window and though the wind are strong, I easily dried it.

V
V
Good to know that it dries easily while your window open, maybe you are using cleaning solution like chem dry bella, right? Maybe you are using kansas chem dry which I've been using here even if it is not spring time.

Last edited by vinsot21; 08/18/10 11:23 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We use the standard orange cleaning solution that comes with the steam cleaner smile Nothing special.

I haven't done a steam cleaning in a while, it's probably a good time to do that! We try to always take our shoes off when we come in, but we don't make visitors do it, so things do get dirty.

I never thought about bare feet causing oil problems - but I love being barefoot. So I think I'll have to live with oils to clean up, vs always wearing socks, which I don't like smile

Low Carb Forum
Amoeba
Amoeba
hi............... You can use a vacuum cleaner or Carpet Flick. You can hire a cleaning company to use a steamer. You can rent a steamer at , and they will teach you how to use it. To clean your carpet by hand, if it is a standard carpet, get a sponge and/or dish towel and a bucket full of soapy water. Dip the rag or sponge in the water and scrub the carpet section by section until it is clean. thanks

Last edited by simonaderson; 09/09/10 06:13 AM.
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Why do they sell these things that only wet clean, when they spout that they are steam cleaners? There is no steam involved at all! Does someone have a recommendation for a good steam cleaner that I can buy?

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Does everyone use just plain hot water carpet cleaners, or does someone actually use a steam cleaner that works? I really need to pick one up and have no idea what I'm looking at for price.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear borage flower -

I think we all water clean - maybe it's a price issue? My carpets get far cleaner with it vs a regular vacuum cleaner and it's easy to use so I'm happy with it!

Low Carb Forum
T
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
T
Steam cleaners and water cleaners are something that I am looking into for comparisons, actually. I have wondered the differences and the pros and cons of each one!!! smile Keep you posted!!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lori, I wish I'd known you when we put our carpet in.

One little thing--don't Scotchguard if you have a bird. I can kill them. Also, be careful of what you use to spot clean. Anything that is a volitile (oil based) will be toxic to birds.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tammy - I'll be very interested in reading about that!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.