Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK looking down past the fridge it goes to the back bathroom -

The shoe tree is at the end, and the closet is on the right of it.

So I have a pair of good hiking boots, a pair of good sneakers, a pair of casual black shoes, a slip-on pair of Chinese shoes, and then two pairs of boots (black, brown) that I wear with all my dresses. So these are really all the shoes I wear. Bob has a pair of good hiking boots, a pair of golf shoes, a pair of serious sneakers, a pair of casual sneakers, and maybe another pair of sword-work sneakers. Hmmm. So we do wear all of these quite often.

I wear the casual black shoes for sword class each week. The slip-ons for chores. Good hiking boots and good sneakers when we go out exploring. And the two boots are what I wear any time I go out for dinner or such, I wear either one or the other.

The bathroom is fairly tiny -

My friend Jody made me the lovely stained glass fish!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The left half of the hall closet is jackets. So you can see it's stuffed even though I took the motorcycle jackets out of it. For winter I have a thick ski jacket and a formal black jacket. Then a rain coat, my sword jacket, a light leather jacket for spring / fall, and Bob's windbreaker that I wear.

Bob probably has a few more windbreaker / pullover options for various golf weather conditions.

And the other half is our recycling bin set.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I adore the fish!!!! Does she make those to order? I want one. :-)

Ok, let's start with the bathroom. Your bathroom has plenty of room. You just aren't looking at it from at tiny house perspective. You should be thinking of it as a utility room with a toilet, instead of a bathroom with a washer-dryer.

It would be easy to add some container-store organizers or home depot rods, or even simple shelving over the laundry units. They way I see it, there is a ton of wasted vertical space in there.

Containerizing, done right, is not ugly. It can be a work of art! I would absolutely go in there with some fresh blank paper, a nice pencil, and empty your mind of how you normally see this room. You have a wall space opposite the units, for example, where you could build in some pretty brushed steel hooks for off season jackets,or even hang a short rod from pretty chains from the ceiling.

You are right that the coat closet is too stuffed. Nothing in there can breathe and it's not easy to use.

Let me think on the closet some more. The recycling center - i might also have some thoughts on that.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BTW I think the shoe thing is perfect as it is. You use all those and it works, so i'd leave it alone. :-)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
More notes: your kitchen is amazingly clean. i am impressed as heck.

But. How does your Roomba get around all the stuff on the floor?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
More notes: why are you blocking that door to the outside?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly - she is the person whose house just burnt down so I imagine all her supplies are in storage. If you remind me in about six months I can ask her! I *love* that stained glass fish smile

Over the washer and dryer there are already a full set of shelves that go up to the ceiling, and they're full of stuff. So that space is very full.

The space between the washing machines and the wall is very narrow, so we can't put anything in there and still have the ability to walk to the toilet. There are a row of hooks there already, but we can't hang anything on them without impeding a walker.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The crafting stuff is all back up in James' room which is where it lives, in shelves in his closets. The wood stuff is down in the basement which is where all of Bob's wood-working stuff is.

Thank you on the kitchen, it took a LOT of hands-and-knees scrubbing. We go out hiking and tromping and it's amazing how grimy a floor can get.

We have to put the chairs in the living room when Roomba / Scooba run. We move the trash can, cat food and cat food container. But for example we don't bother to move the cat tower or the wine fridge or wine bottle holder. Those just stay still.

The door the shoes are in front of lead to a second floor tiny porch which used to have stairs down to the driveway. Those rotted out long ago. So now it's just a little porch over the driveway. So that would be for emergency use only, if there was a fire and someone wanted to try to jump down from that porch.

On the shoes, I still feel "guilty" that we have so many shoes. I know many parts of the world have people with no shoes, or just one pair! Do I really need black boots AND brown boots? But I wear my dresses all the time as my "going out of the house" clothing. And the boots match them. If I'm going to provide a professional appearance when I do an origami talk or a wine dinner, I guess it's reasonable not to wear my hiking boots to the occasion ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
My professional opinion as someone who has been working on simplicity for the last known Epoch, is that you do not have any frivolous shoes.

Leave the shoes alone - I think you have it about as perfect as someone can get. It's not good for your feet or shoes to use one pair every day either - both shoes and feet need to breathe. Let the first world guilt in this area go - having a small amount of proper footwear is as worthwhile as having the right coat for the right weather.

If you have no room for hooks and rods, then go with Deb's vacuum bag suggestion. The items won't breathe in there, so make sure everything is clean and bone dry before storing. Then run water over the bag to test for sealing. If you get the all-clear - into the basement they can go. No mildew issues and they will be nice, stiff and flat, ready for use later.

When it's time to let them out of their bags, shake them, and just them a week to breathe and regain their fluff.

I wish I could come to your house and show you ideas.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/07/10 03:58 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's very sweet Jill! I like the virtual approach, it means I can ponder them and then put them into action!

I'm not quite convinced winter is over, so I'm not quite ready to put away those winter coats. But in another few weeks I will take the plunge and find a new home for them!

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.