Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
A discussion of the phase that sets Wiccans apart from other Pagans.

New Article

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
A great explanation to describe the separation! I've heard over the years-

Not all Pagans are Wiccan but all Wiccans are Pagan....

Proud Pagan
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Are you trying to discuses the views on just that phrase or just the general differences between Wicca and Paganism? I personal believe that most pagans follow the concept of "An it harm none, do what you will", Wicca just seam to be more vocal about it. As for the differences in Wicca and Paganism.... well it has always been my understanding that Wicca is a specific path that focus a lot on the Lord/God and Lady/Goddess and sympathetic / ceremonial magic. Paganism is a more umbrella term for polytheistic faiths/ spiritual path. Most people that claim Pagan over Wiccan often follow a specific Pantheon or cultural identity such as the Druids and Family Tradition Witches. It has been my experience that of people of my generation often start off Wiccan and in the course of their studies choose a cultural identity such a Celtic, Norse or Greek. They then idetify themelves as a "(insert culture here) Pagan" instead of Wiccan.

Gecko
Gecko

Sulverna- Merry Meet!!

I agree with most of your perspective and what your idea is for both Pagan and Wiccan.

I myself am Wiccan and consider myself Celtic as well. I feel just as many aspects of life, there is not set black and white, but many shades of gray. SO, that is my little spin and opinion..

Proud Pagan
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Sulverna - my intention of the articles was to discuss what the Wiccan Rede means as to be Wiccan one must abide by this Rede. If you are Pagan, you do not HAVE to but it is a great rule to live by. Thank you for your comments! I totally agree with your descriptions of Paganism and Wicca. Again, thank you and I look forward to more discussions with you.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
The phrase "An It Harm None, Do As Ye Will" was official introduced by Doreen Valiente in 1964 although the concept has been floating around the Neo-Pagan scene since roughly 1904 or so. It is commonly accepted time line wise that the foundations of Wicca were largely compiled between 1920-50. Because of this I an going to have to say that one can be Wiccan with out specifically following the exact wording of the "Wiccan Rede".

A
A
This is part of what drew me to the Wiccan path...it's a wonderful way of life. When we were children, we were taught the "Golden Rule"...do unto others as you would have others do unto you. I see these things as very related, in that it's just a good way to live your life, no matter what sort of tradition or path or religion or culture or WHATEVER you may call yourself! I respect the Wiccan "way of life" and I just think it makes good sense. How can you go wrong with that?

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Exactly Amethyst. This drew me to Wicca as well along with we are responsible for our own actions, we can't blame anyone or anything for the wrong doing we do to each other, to the Earth, and even to ourselves. Blessed be and welcome to the forums!

Gecko
Gecko
Sulverna

cryI have to apologize for my previous participation in this thread. I didn't realize that only a portion of my posting actually made it. My laptop was giving me a bit of trouble before and I must have lost a portion of the body. I just now noticed it and I feel foolish. cry

My view and spin is as follows; Wicca is a specific religion. Some people use the word only for a very tight definition (initiatory priesthood traditions directly descending from the New Forest area of England working with specific religious mysteries and/or deities). More commonly, it's used more generally - groups having some practices in common (casting circle, approaches to working with deity, combination of folk magic and religious practice, etc.) Again, it's good to know how a specific person uses the term.

Because Paganism is a broad term, it covers a lot of ground. Wicca is more specific (and there are more specific terms, too, like specific tradition or path names.) So, someone can be Pagan, but not Wiccan, but Wiccans are Pagan.

Some people compare this to denominations within Christianity (you can be Christian but not Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, whatever) but that's a little inaccurate, because it implies that all Pagans share some common beliefs. This is more or less what I was trying toconvey in my previous posting so I hope that clarifies my personal view and opinion.

Have a blessed weekend.

Proud Pagan

Moderated by  Ro Longstreet-Wicca 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.