Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#570411 12/13/09 02:36 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I received this in my email box today:

Quote:
I like your article about favorite knitting gadgets. I especially like the idea of using a basket to put different colors of yarn in. That would lessen the chance of the "What was I thinking when I put those colors together!"

You did not mention one of my favorite gadgets- the knitting row counter. Even though paper and pencil can be used, I have found a row counter to be invaluable to keep track of both stich patterns and rows in large and small projects.

It is referring to this article.

What other gadgets do you like that I missed?

Last edited by MargeKnits; 12/13/09 02:37 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
This isn't a knitting gadget per se but I found that the shopping bags you get at any store for $1 to re-use are perfect for knitting project. You can store yarn in them, put different projects into different bags or whatever. They are light, easy to carry around, cheap, they hold a lot and stand up on the flat bottom of the bag. I have many around that I never seemed to take to the store with me but they are perfect for all my yarn.

joanj #570545 12/14/09 01:35 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's a tip from my MIL. To take a pattern while traveling, she list each row on an index card. When she finishes the row, she places the card on the bottom. She both knits and crochets and uses this technique for both. I haven't tried it yet, but she's been doing it for years.

As for row counters, I've used note pad with tic marks, and the little ones you slide onto the needles. My favorite is the necklace one I found in Daytona at JoAnn's. It's faster for me than the one on my needles.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
J
Koala
Koala
J
The index card idea sounds great! I tried a baby blanket with 11 repetitious rows and got lost. Maybe if I'd put them on the cards, it would have been easier.

joanj #570679 12/15/09 01:07 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I was thinking of taking the index card idea a little further. I have one of those comb binding machines to bind the cards. They will flip easily, but stay in order. I'm a huge clutz and this would prevent misplacing a card, or inadvertently getting them out of order.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
joanj #570686 12/15/09 01:54 AM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
They do work well, don't they. I also use the large and small zip lock bags.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Not to mention, dropping them!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
To those who have knitting machines and find yourself loosing your tools on the table or lid behind the machine here's a tip. Get some wide mouth heavy soup/coffee cups. Place a piece of Styrofoam in the bottom of the cup and make holes in that. Then you simply stick the tools in the holes.

The heavy types of those soup/coffee cups not only keep them steady they keep your tools from falling off the back of the table, and the Styrofoam holds the tools for easy grabbing.

I use separate cups for my weights, tools, crochet hooks, and clothes pins. Then I am not having to dig through to find what I need.

You can normally find these at second hand stores for very little out of pocket money if you don't already have them to hand. I paid $0.35 or less for many of these.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I like using the circular loom and just added a pom pom maker to my knitting gadgets. The pom poms are really cute on baby or children's hats.

Last edited by joanj; 01/28/10 10:29 AM.
joanj #584591 02/16/10 06:57 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I feel like I am back from a long sleep! I've been traveling and working out of town, but I'm back.

I remember making a pom-pom maker from two margarine tub covers...I wonder where that went...

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.